eating indy

Slippery Noodle Inn 372 S. Meridian Street

Well this luncheon was quite an adventure. The NRA Convention was in town, so we decided to meet up at 9 AM to peruse the Nine Acres of Guns and Gear, and then do lunch. We made a pretty good dent in the 9 acres and saw a bunch of great stuff. When we left the Center at noon the weather was worse than it was at 8:30. Wet, chilly and blustery. We changed our itinerary in order to shorten our walk time as much as possible. However we did cover a lot more turf than two semi-gimpy old guys would have liked. But along the way we learned that the “Gentleman’s Club” we were planning on going to, no longer serves lunch on Fridays. We also got into a little “argument” with the management of a joint we’ve been to before,and left in a “huff”. I’m not sure what huff means but I have heard it a lot in my life and I think it means a little PO’d.

All of which leads us to The Slippery Noodle Inn. Not that it was a desperation choice by any means. It’s just that the Noodle is synonymous to me with an evening of Blues and cocktails. For good reason. It has a pretty good rep for attracting Blues Artists. The building has been housing various business concerns since 1850. I am including a link with a wee bit of history about the place.

slippery noodle 019

slippery noodle 023 (1)

In order to fortify himself on a forced march Pat kept talking about a tenderloin. I figured one of the breaded variety. I figured wrong. He got it grilled with choice of fries or tots for $8.99.

slippery noodle 025

slippery noodle 014 (1)

I decided on a BBQ pork sandwich on rye bread. I know that probably is a wee bit atypical but it was a taste from my youth. It was damn good too. The sauce was a nice combo of sweet and smoky. The smokiness probably came from a bottle, but I thought it was quite tasty. What is it about tater tots that make most grown men think like an adolescent? In this case they were a perfect match. Hot, crisp and well seasoned. I believe the BBQ was $8.49. So as you can see the prices are much in line with other joints downtown.

slippery noodle 016

Below is the link for the history lesson of the noodle.

Slippery Noodle Inn on Urbanspoon

1. Ha ha ha we had BLTs on rye with tater tots last night, so we were on the same wave length as far as bread and sides. Sorry your morning didn’t bode well, but at least the sun did come out.

April 26, 2014 at 2:28 pm

• Was rye bread your first choice? Or was it a case of “damn all we have is rye bread”? Personally I think rye is the Rodney Dangerfield of breads. Do Texas males act goofy over tater tots or is that just a Northern thing?

April 27, 2014 at 8:13 am

• Tots are always fun to break open and look inside. Like a fiesta in your mouth. Rye don’t get no respect. Honestly, we had some 12 grain bread, but it was tiny–think 3″ by 3″ and the rye was 5″ wide, so it accommodated more thick slices of bacon.

April 27, 2014 at 1:59 pm

• Fiesta in your mouth. I like that.That is a cool thing about rye it handles a bunch of stuff. Bread that is 3″x 3″ is only good for “cocktail” sandwiches.

April 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm

2. BBQ on rye? very interesting!! I may have to venture out and try that soon! Have I told you how much I love your notes on the notepad and/or napkins?! Such a great, unique touch to your reviews! :)

April 29, 2014 at 12:07 pm

• Thanks. The BBQ on rye is a throwback to my youth. The notes are Pat’s reviews. I have to tell him you like them. I’m the technical dude. Pat’s the existential guy. We are both all around nice guys though. Thanks for stopping in and dropping a line.

April 29, 2014 at 2:34 pm

3. Oh my godfathers, the photos of your meals are so appetizing I’ve actually tried licking the screen. Not as tasty as it looks.
    Still, I’m with you there in spirit!

May 3, 2014 at 7:43 pm

• I know; screen licking isn’t all that satisfying. All I get is a smudged screen. Thanks. I can use all the spirit I can get.

May 3, 2014 at 8:10 pm