eating indy

Downtown Olly’s 822 N. Illinois Street

downtown Olly's 007

This is what you see when you first walk in. The joint has been around for about 12 years. Unfortunately I have never heard of it until about 1 year ago. There is not a whole lot of reviews for the place. I am not sure why. It might be because it is a 24 / 7 joint. It is open for business 24 hours per day. They don’t sell liquor from 3 AM to 7 AM. Like the French Quarter in New Orleans.

On the day I went to Soupremacy I thought I would check out Olly’s. Before Pat and I visit a place I like to know what they offer. So… I stopped by on the way home. The joint has some great specials and some pretty good food.soupremacy and olly 018

That day I had their sloppy Joe sandwich, with tater tots. I know… sloppy Joe is pretty much country, and pretty much “what ever”. But…good food is eternal and their version is really quite tasty. The tots weren’t as tasty as Slippery Noodle,not as spicy, but still good. The bartender, Alex told me he was from the South and back home the dish is called Spanish burger. I thought that was interesting. I took quite a few pictures of the place because I thought it was rather eclectic. If you had to define the style I think it would be referred to as “Urban Informal”, or maybe “Urbane Tacky”. In either event I found it to be comfortable.downtown Olly's 002

I know glass blocks are to decor as white bucks are to men’s shoes, but here they work.

downtown Olly's 004

downtown Olly's 005

downtown Olly's 012

Their menu is huge. I scanned it and I intend to add it to this post; it is entertaining just to peruse the menu. Since it never closes it has a separate breakfast menu as well. For a 4 hour period in the AM they offer 2 eggs, potatoes, sausage or bacon choice and toast for $1.99. Now that is worth getting up early for.

downtown Olly's 008

downtown olly's 024

Patrick is leaving out the best part. In addition to the peanut butter the burger had jalapeno, pepper jack cheese and bacon. But I guess you can see that in the picture.

downtown Olly's 009

I ordered one of the lunch specials, for $7.99. Stromboli Pasta. That would be – sausage, pepperoni, peppers and onions in a red sauce over linguine.

downtown Olly's 010

The result was a very tasty dish. It tasted like a pepperoni and sausage pizza with noodles. I wouldn’t hesitate ordering it again. I also think it was a clever way of cross utilization of product. Every food item on a menu should be used in at least 2 different applications. In my opinion.

So for a good lunch or dinner Olly’s should be on your short list. Good food, good prices and good specials. Thursday’s drink specials were $2 domestic bottles and $2 well drinks. And since this is Indiana the drink specials are good for the whole day. And lastly but not leastly the service is stellar. Thanks again Alex.

downtown Olly's 011

downtown olly's 020

downtown olly's 014

downtown olly's 015

downtown olly's 018

downtown olly's 019

downtown olly's 016

downtown olly's 017

downtown olly's 021

downtown olly's 022

downtown olly's 023

Downtown Olly's on Urbanspoon

1. jay

Great photos and really appreciate the menu photos.

May 9, 2014 at 10:41 am

• Cool. Thanks for taking the time to comment

May 9, 2014 at 10:48 am

2. My eyes can’t read the menu, but that’s par for the course. What does that mean–the drink specials last all day in Indiana? Happy Hour here is 5-7pm most of the time. Do you have all day happy hour? Or do you mean you can sell liquor past 2am? We can’t do that. In any event, I know you like tater tots. No surprise there. But a peanut butter burger for Pat? He takes risks. I actually like glass bricks and a carpeted floor. I know it’s dirty and harder to clean, but it’s so much quieter. I used to Hoky the flloor at Coco’s when I worked the graveyard shift, just shuffling all the crumbs and sugar packets into it back and forth. I think you should have your own local show, reviewing restaurants. We used to have a guy do that here on the news, but he weighed about 400 lbs, so it was a tough sell.

May 9, 2014 at 11:20 am

• Sorry about the menu. I still haven’t totally got the hang of my scanning wand. In Indiana you can sell alcohol from 7 AM to 3 AM. Seven days a week. Happy hours were banned a few years back. If you have special pricing on alcohol you must keep it all day. They thought it would cut down on the number of hard drinking bargain hunters. I was really thrown off by Pat’s order. He is a dining question mark. If I don’t start cutting down I might reach that 400 pound mark. Remember what they say. “Never trust a skinny chef”. Say why don’t you get some glasses? I don’t want you to end up like the lady on the eye glass commercial. She thinks she is letting in her cat and it’s actually a raccoon.

May 9, 2014 at 11:37 am

• LOL I have seen that w/ the raccoon. Because I’m holding out til the last possible minute! Because now at bedtime when my hub puts on his readers to read, he looks like Santa Claus. Because I keep praying by a miracle, I will see again!

May 9, 2014 at 11:48 am

• Well I hope that works out for you. In the mean time be careful of what critters you let in at night.

May 9, 2014 at 11:52 am

3. Hi there to every , since I am in fact keen of reading this website’s post to be updated
    regularly. It contains good data.

July 3, 2014 at 11:04 pm