eating indy

Hank’s Brisket 3736 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street

We have been aware of this place and its reputation for quite some time. People swear by the quality of Hank’s smoked meat. He only offers carry out so we had to pick a nice day. That is the only reason I can come up as to why we were so tardy in coming here. That, and our horrid memories. Today was a beautiful day so we headed to Hank’s.

hank's brisket 006

They have a menu board on the wall, but I messed up the picture. Their sandwiches range from $6.50 to $8.50. Their sides are all $1.80. The brisket is $16 per pound and the smoked corn beef is $17.50. On Urbanspoon there is an older picture of the menu. The brisket prices have gone up since that was taken. Price increase or not the man sure can smoke some beef. And it is definitely butter my butt and call me bread good.

Pat stopped and bought some buns on the way. We got one pound of brisket, one half pound of smoked corned beef and a side of potato salad and coleslaw. Conveniently there is a Dairy Queen next door, so we picked up a couple of chocolate malts. There is also a nice little park about a block away. So we had an old-fashioned picnic.

The view from our dining table

The view from our dining table

hank's brisket 008hank's brisket 010

hank's brisket 015

In a nutshell I don’t know which we liked better. The brisket or the corned beef. The brisket was delicious and had a beautiful bark. I think it was a wee bit better than Squealers. My previous love. As for the corned beef it was truly a taste to remember. I know this is trite and over used but it really did melt in your mouth. A nice texture, indicative of corned meat and just a hint of fat to leave a little gleam on your mouth. The slaw was good but the potato salad was better, I think. Super creamy. A sweet foil to the home-made BBQ sauce.

What is extraordinary is Hank is a self-taught pit master. As I understand it he spent 10 years perfecting his technique through trial and error. Which is, ultimately, the way all smokers learn. Try different ways until you find the one way that floats your boat. In this case Hank certainly has found his way.hank's brisket 013
Hank's Smoked Brisket on Urbanspoon

1. The bark is lovely. The bark is as good as the bite!

May 22, 2014 at 6:13 pm

• Good play on words. You are so right!

May 22, 2014 at 6:19 pm

2. Wow look at the size of that beef, that looks delicious, we don’t have takeout beef shops like that :(

May 26, 2014 at 2:44 pm

• That is a shame. Maybe some one should open up a Texas style smoke house in Scotland. Were I younger I would go. Do you think the world is ready for cold smoked haggis?

May 26, 2014 at 2:56 pm

• No! I was ill the first time I ate haggis, think I’m allergic to barley lol
        Beef is so expensive over here even brisket I tend to stick to chicken.

May 26, 2014 at 5:11 pm

• The price of beef is crazy here too. I have only had an Americanized version of haggis here. Evidently you can’t sell pluck in the US. In either event the version I had was magnificent. I discovered Tennent’s beer at the same time. Made for a delicious meal.

May 26, 2014 at 5:18 pm

3. I am a total sucker for all things smoked or BBQd. I adore brisket in all its possibilities. Truly mouthwatering stuff, Benson. As always, my keyboard is nearly short circuiting.

June 15, 2014 at 3:59 pm

• Shucks. You are too kind. I am nearly as red as a properly smoked hunk o’ beef.

June 15, 2014 at 11:58 pm