eating indy

Rock-Cola 50’s Cafe 5730 Brookville Road ( Revisit)

About 3 years ago, when we were new to the reviewing world we had lunch here. This was before I had a cell phone or a camera. Any pictures we might have posted were from the Goggle Image Library. The reason we chose this joint was because they had resurrected Choc-Ola. That was a local chocolate drink that came in cans and bottles. It goes back a lot of years and part of those years were Hoosier. It wasn’t much more than Chocolate milk in a can. But it was good,and it was part of our history. The strange thing is we didn’t have it either time. The first time we had chocolate malts. Good malts. The kind that gives you the malt burn in the back of your throat. This time we went the water, Coke route. We also brought a friend, Jim. He has been a regular customer here for quite some time.

Pat and I had discussed hitting a new BBQ place; but we flipped a coin and heads was Rock-Cola. I had planned on getting a malt or a root beer float; since it was my birthday; but I decided to go with the H2O.

rock cola 008

rock cola 009

Jim already had his mind made up and ordered a Hawg Dog. That is a big deep-fried  hot dog,  placed in a bun and then topped with pulled BBQ pork and coleslaw. That is something he gets on a regular basis for $6.99.rock cola 014

Now that is what I wanted. However since he ordered first I felt obliged to get something else. He did let me get a bite. And all the incremental pieces worked really well together. Individually they may not have been stellar but the totality was really good.

rock cola 018

Patrick decided on a grilled tenderloin, for $6.99. I do not think he was prepared for the monster piece of meat he was given. It was a least 8 ounces of cubed pig carmelized on a flat-topped griddle to the point of sweet tenderness.

rock cola 012

rock cola 007

Since Jim took “my dawg” he recommended the El Paso Pete for $7.99. That is 90% lean ground beef. Cooked like “taco meat” and seasoned with southwest seasoning and green peppers and onion. Then it is smothered with American cheese and served on a toasted bun. I ordered a side of hashed browns to go with the sandwich.

rock cola 015

The potatoes came out as a huge patty. They were nothing spectacular. Just nice shredded ‘taters, nicely browned and mildly seasoned. The “taco-burger thingy” was tasty, but it was really cooked hard. A flat top is a great tool but sometimes a light hand is nice. This was over cooked, in my estimation. It was still all right but a little moisture would have been appreciated.

rock cola 016

rock cola 011

Well in summation. This joint is a good little diner. You won’t always find perfection. Just settle for good grub and nice people. Right Tamara?

Rock-Cola 50's Cafe on Urbanspoon

For the history of Choc-ola :

1. Sounds so-so to me, Benson. Meh, even.

June 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm

• It was. But it has been better. Pat and Jim dug it. It just sucked for me.

June 12, 2014 at 9:51 pm

2. We’re in a tornado warning as I’m typing, so I better shut off the laptop. Comment tomorrow!

June 12, 2014 at 10:58 pm

• Be safe.

June 13, 2014 at 8:24 am

• Okay, all systems are go now! No damage. Never heard of Choc-Ola. Shouldn’t it be carbonated if it says ola? Reminds me of the chocolate wine I see at the store. You can’t go wrong w/ BBQ pork and cole slaw (most of the time), so I’m sorry you couldn’t copy his order. I do that at restaurants sometimes; my husband’s plate sounds better, but I don’t want to duplicate, and then his turns out great and mine is awful. Mostly I just have the curse of the dirty fork. If there is silverware with bits of dried food on it, it’s always mine.

June 13, 2014 at 1:48 pm

• Glad everything is okay. Oh no. Not the dirty fork. That really does take the fun out of a meal. I could have ordered the same but I wanted to access a bigger cross section of the food. Jim recommended the El Paso and it would have been a fine example of diner grub the cook just over did it.

June 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm

3. I had the deliciously greasy philly steak when I went a few years back. And the choc-ola drew me to that place as well. Did you happen to see any of the ‘mile high club’ sandwiches being made? Those captured my interest and seemed to be pretty popular. When Indianapolis Monthly did their Super Bowl special with the “Super 46 Sandwiches” it made the list!! The sandwich is at least 8-10 inches tall! I am also intrigues by this grilled tenderloin….the Hoosier staple is fried…but that grilled one looks very appetizing!!

June 16, 2014 at 12:27 pm

• I didn’t see any clubs served. I am intrigued by any club sandwich. They are too big for any human mouth to bite whole. Imagine a pressed club with 3 pieces of bread. For the most part I think Rock-Cola is a great example of diner cuisine. I think their malts are better than Dairy Queen and grilled tenderloins are delicious.

June 16, 2014 at 12:48 pm

4. I go to see day-to-day some websites and sites to read posts, except this web site provides quality based content.

July 31, 2014 at 10:21 pm