Javier’s Hacienda Mexican Cuisine 2444 E. Washington St.

Well Javier is back in the kitchen. For many years he ran the best Mexican kitchen in the city. El Sol. A couple of years ago Javier left, and then unexpectedly the joint closed. Well now he’s back. In the same building but with a different name.

A few years back he redid the entire dining room. Using hand-made chairs and tables from Mexico he made the whole joint resemble an open air plaza. Complete with a fountain.

javier 11

javier 001

javier 12

The salsa is fresh and the chips are warm, but the guacamole is a show stopper. He offers it three ways. Traditional with tomatoes etc., a personalized version with Mexican oregano and the 1800. This recipe is more than 200 years old. Avocado, garlic, fire roasted Serrano chiles and salt. Hand ground in a stone mortar and pestle. It is more than good.

javier 6

Their web site is still under construction so I scanned their menu. This I will add to Urban Spoon. Their lunch menu shows up on their Face page. I urge you to check out the menu. For folks who want authentic. Here it is.

javier 3

2014-9-11 javier

Pat’s Cochinta Pibil was $8.95 with black beans, and sweet plantains. And of course flour tortillas.

javier 13

Having never tried Javier’s tamales before that is what I ordered, from the lunch menu. Three tamales, chicken or beef and black beans and salad. Again $8.95. I opted for the pig. Three good-sized tamales, robust and savory with nice strands of meat. The beans were really good, and the rice was  tasty and colorful just a mite dry. I really enjoy the salad they add. Spring mix with a light vinaigrette and pickled onions.

javier 2

I am surprised that this post is as short as it is, considering my natural tendency to ramble. Well here it is. I am sure it doesn’t come as a surprise to folks that remember El Sol. Javier is back and he is as good as always. If nothing else you owe it to yourself to try the 1800 guacamole. It is that good.

javier 8

javier 7

Javier's Hacienda Mexican Cuisine on Urbanspoon

1. Tamales are beef or chicken, and you chose “pig”? Really small cow?

September 11, 2014 at 7:32 pm

2. Man, that looks right up my alley.

September 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm

• Shoot this joint is the bomb. After some guacamole and a couple of margaritas Real you’ll feel as if you’re in Monterey.

September 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm

• Minus any murder! Oh, maybe that’s just the border. I want to watch them grind the guacamole in the molcajete.

September 11, 2014 at 10:24 pm

• Me too. That would be like dinner with a show.

September 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm

3. I have eaten so many meals of truly authentic, finely crafted Mexican meals (mostly all over Mexico) that I feel I can’t go for more than a couple of days without feeling the need to feed a desperate craving. I’m so happy to hear the Midwest has someone to do the cuisine proud, although this has become less and less of a surprise as our country gains more citizens from our neighbors to the south. And our stomachs should be grateful for it!
    Personally, I find Mexican oregano (the dried variety) a challenge to cook with unless the dish it will appear in will be cooking for quite some time. It’s so rough in texture, and therefore I pulverize it with a mortar and pestle. It’s worth the effort because I find it much more pungent, but only if I have the time to properly attend to it.
    Great review, Benson!
    And now I’m off to make a margarita. 😀

September 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm

• Thank you kind lady. I can relate to jonesing for food. When I moved back to Indiana Javier’s El Sol de Talia was the first joint I went to. There weren’t many Mexican restaurants around at that time. Now there are several. After my time living and working in Old and New Mexico I had stomach shock when I arrived. I had to mail order some frozen green chile and dried red pod. I think you are correct about oregano. I use it primarily when I make red chile for my carne adovado. Enioy your margraita.

September 13, 2014 at 10:14 pm