The Garfield Park Eatery & Coffee 2627 Shelby Street

Well the Garfield Inn is gone, no more, kaput. In its place is an eatery/coffee shop. The new owners have done a major remodel of the old tavern. From a well-worn bar to a cozy little parlor with bright walls and comfortable seating.

garfield 002

garfield 004

garfield 001

The old bar is still in use and behind the bar where there once were bottles of booze now sets an impressive array of coffee machines and the various supplies necessary for today’s coffee service. You order at the bar and they bring your food out to you. By the register they have big jars with cookies for $1.25 each, as well as other confections. The cookies we tried were pretty good. Mine was a chocolate chip that had a bunch of other stuff in there,like coconut and raisins. As you can see the menu is rather small and they don’t offer hamburgers. Although they did have one as a special, with fries.

garfield 001

garfield 002

garfield 006

Pat ordered a breaded tenderloin, with fries for $7.95

garfield 003

garfield 006

I ordered the special. Pasta Bolognese ( $7.45 ) and a cup soup ( German Sausage ) for $3.25. Unfortunately it was very bland. It was a brothy soup with potato, red beans, onion and potato as well as sausage and cabbage. First thing the amount of sausage was rather small, as was the rest of the ingredients. The idea sounded fine. The execution was way off.

garfield 007

garfield 008

As for the pasta, to me it didn’t fare much better than the soup. A Bolognese is a classic. It is characterized by the use of chopped onion, carrot and celery (a mirepoix). I think what makes it a classic is the melding of the veggies with a red sauce and the reduction of beef stock and wine in the sauce. Not to mention the judicious use of nutmeg and milk or cream at the finish. What I was served was a multi colored rotini covered with a hamburger and tomato sauce with a definitely tart and tangy after taste. So guys lunch didn’t go over real big with me.

I think their idea of a coffee shop is very viable for this area. They offer free WiFi and all the espresso and latte stuff that made Starbucks rich. And even though I am no longer able to drink coffee I can still appreciate the idea of a good coffee shop. And the prices appear to be more than fair. So hopefully they’ll get the wrinkles worked out. Maybe breakfast is their forte. They scratch make the biscuits and gravy and on week ends they serve breakfast all day long. If I lived closer I’d try breakfast. I would pass on the pasta though.

The Garfield Eatery & Coffee on Urbanspoon

1. Doesn’t sound like a winner, winner chicken dinner. Cups of soup always look too small to me, like three bites isn’t enough.

September 19, 2014 at 6:32 pm

• In this case it was more than enough. A bummer of a soup. And pasta.

September 19, 2014 at 6:37 pm

2. The pictures suggest a cozy atmosphere, and maybe you’re right. Maybe they will fare better with the snug coffee crowd.
    What a shame on the soup and pasta.
    I love a true Bolognese–but can’t make it when one of the “picky” teens I’m growing are planning on eating it. She refuses liver. And in my opinion, I’m left making it without a key ingredient. Ah well. I’ve gotten used to her prefacing every meal I place before her with, “Are there internal organs in here?”
    Ugh.

September 20, 2014 at 9:40 am

• I didn’t have a lot of faith in the pasta dish to begin with. Of course I never though it would be that lame. It really is a shame about the soup.though. It had so much potential to be a rocking rustic soup.I figure something along the lines of a Caldo Verde. A hearty and robust bowl of sausage and stuff, not a weak broth void of substance. Internal organs huh. That is a priceless quip.

September 20, 2014 at 9:49 am

• Hey. I have a ? I forgot when I replied earlier. When you use internal organs in your Bolognese what other meat do you use? Consider it a poll. Thanking you in advance for the reply.

September 20, 2014 at 1:26 pm

• It depends on the butcher’s selection, but mostly a combo of beef, pork, veal, but most importantly, pancetta. Not all of them together, but whatever I choose I’ll not leave out the pancetta.

September 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

• Thanks. I agree pancetta is a must. I am fond of beef and veal. Sometimes chicken liver sometimes not. It depends on the joint, and the mood. I made Bolognese for my son and daughter in law and two of my grand daughters ( 11 and 9). I ground the poached chicken liver and added it to the sauce right before the cream. I didn’t tell them. Even the kids loved it. That is why I got a chuckle from your internal organs remark.

September 20, 2014 at 1:53 pm

• Must have chicken liver!
        And cream.
        Oh, hell, now I’m really hankerin bolognese.

September 20, 2014 at 11:38 pm

• I was gonna’ reply sooner but I got side tracked by some crazy lady writing about a bow and arrow and a circular saw. I still think that the absence of liver does not necessarily detract from the original intention of the dish. Of course that is just a Hoosier’s opinion. Side track. What would be a good second step single malt?

September 21, 2014 at 9:25 am

• I agree, there are plenty of good sauces out there that do not contain liver, although I made the mistake of referring to one as a bolognese and nearly had a whole townful of elderly Italian ladies chase after me in argument. They really know how to wield a rolling pin.
        And liver is a perfect seque into scotch!
        So my suggestion is that you stick with the Speysides and Lowlands – these will have notes that are floral, fruity, citrusy, cereal, butterscotch, toffee related. The Highland and Islands will be more on the peaty, smokey, briney side. My favorites.
        Stick with anything for the moment that begins with Glen–Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet. All great bets and not difficult to find. (Or anything labeled as coming from the Speyside or Lowland regions)
        Let me know how it goes.

September 21, 2014 at 2:25 pm

• Thanks so much. I enjoyed my first experience. Perhaps too well. The bottle didn’t last very long. I never thought I would cheat on my Irish. Well, a man has to do what he has to do. Thank you for the advice. Anything with Glen. Got it.

September 21, 2014 at 2:40 pm