Naisa Pan-Asian Cafe.

For all you grammarians out there Naisa is Asian, spelled backwards. Cute. When Pat suggested Naisa for lunch I was more dis-interested than excited. Not because I have any issue with Asian food it just seems more than not the food revolves around a central theme. Veggies chopped up, mixed with a protein in an oyster sauce and served with steamed or fried rice. How ever I was soon reminded that not all vegetables are cooked the same.

The place is not very big. Its biggest decor feature is its modesty and simplicity. The menu is on the small side and features lunch specials in the $7 to $9 range. Each special came with rice choice and soup choice, or you could sub egg or spring roll for the soup.

naisA 6

naisA 5

naisA 001

naisA 3

I opted for Chicken with peanuts with Sweet and Sour soup with fried rice. We were served complementary wonton chips with both duck sauce and mustard for dipping. Both sauces were pretty good. Although the mustard was not the sinus clearing hot I expect.

naisA 001

The soup was excellent. Full of vegetables and with a lovely broth. I would have been happy with just a big bowl and nothing else. It also helped that the weather was rainy and chilly.

The main dish was where  this particular joints unique personality came through. The chicken and sauce were no strangers to my tongue, nor were the veggies unusual. Baby corn, celery, carrot and red bell pepper. The thing that impressed Pat and me both was the freshness and quality of the cooking. The vegetables had a snap and crunch to them and they still retained their natural sweetness. I think that it is cooking like this that makes eating even more fun.

So, there you have it. A cozy dining room, good prices and excellent cooking. And last but not at all least excellent service. Our server was on top of everything. Attentive and gracious, a great combination.

naisA 7

Naisa Pan-Asian Cafe on Urbanspoon

1. I love cashews and chicken and veggies! Like you, I always look to the mustard to clear my sinuses. When I click on the Food category and skim for fun posts, I never find your blog, Mister. And you’re the food man! So wonderful when a server can be on top of everything. It makes all the difference in the world.,

October 10, 2014 at 11:24 am

• I don’t understand what you mean by Food category. I am missing something. Show me the errors of my way. I’m guessing with your affinity for horse radish you like wasabi.

October 10, 2014 at 11:40 am

• Yes, I like wasabi! I just mean since the posts aren’t tagged Food, I can’t find them when I scroll through Food posts. Example: sometimes I just want to see diner stuff, so I go to the WordPress Diner category. Sometimes I just want to see Food, so I go to that category. If there was a Ben & Jerry’s category, I would go to that. 🙂

October 10, 2014 at 11:42 am

• Ohhh. I get it. Thanks.

October 10, 2014 at 11:45 am

2. How timely, Benson–I literally just made stir fry last night and was telling my son about the importance of crunch and not sog.
    I’m totally addicted to sugar snap peas for both the sweetness quotient and the crunch contribution. I put them in at different times – one batch at the beginning and one batch about 30 second before finishing. Warm but still raw. I like food to have sound as well as scent and flavor.
    The combo of cashew and chicken is always a winner in my book as well–but again, I’m a stickler for keeping the cashews out until the very end. I’m not a fan of liquid-logged nuts.
    Good think I’ve got enough for leftovers tonight. Your post would have had me leaving home again for dinner.
    And in honor of your new purchase, I shall be pulling out my Laphroaig (I think this one is the quarter cask expression) and raising a glass toward the Midwest. Slainte! 😀

October 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

• Lady you sure do write as if you are Irish. Texture is as important as taste in a well constructed dish. I enjoy cashews liquid logged as well as crisp. To me the veggies should maintain their own individual identity. Their own unique flavor. That is why they were chosen in the first place. So I do agree with your assertion that certain food stuffs can, and should be inserted in the cooking process at different times. I enjoy water chestnuts so I had them at the end of cooking and just toss with the cooked stuff. I also like mung bean sprouts, so at home I toss them on top at the final plating.
      Thank you for the scotch reference. I am not at all sure what “quarter cask expression” even means. I just bought Laphroaig 10 year old because it was Islay and only 50 bucks. I try to control my addictions. Slainte!

October 10, 2014 at 4:01 pm