Bearcats Restaurant 1055 N. Senate Ave. (Revisit)

Pat and I had lunch here in July 2013. We heard sometime back that the joint had changed owners and quite a few changes were made. I also heard that they were going to start corning their own brisket. Before they bought raw corned beef and cooked it off in-house. I haven’t heard any more about it so we decided to go today. As I understand it the fellow that originally opened the Living Room Lounge is the new owner. At the Lounge he perfected a technique to cook a burger on a griddle that makes it crispy on the outside yet tender and moist on the inside. Pat remember that and he was jonesin’ for a burger.

The last time we were here the place had a definite industrial vibe, concrete floors the whole bit. Now they have a wood floor. They also had mushrooms. The menu offered fresh breaded mushrooms both times. The last time they were out, not this time.

bear cat 002

Now these suckers were hot, fresh and delicious. An excellent appetizer.

bear cat 005

bearcat 001

bear cat 006

They had all the lunch specials typed out in the caddie on each table so you knew as soon as you sat down what the specials were. I opted for the Mahi burger. I really didn’t know what to expect. Our server wasn’t sure how to describe it. She did know they came in frozen and were good. As it turned out it was a round cutout of a fillet. It wasn’t chopped as you might expect from a sandwich called a burger. However it was a solid piece of fish and it was really pretty good. Of course this “burger” begs the question. What do they do with the rest of the fish? Don’t know. I liked this one and I really liked the sweet potato waffle fries it came with.

bear cat 003

The special had cheese choice so I went with swiss. I probably should have gone with no cheese. The swiss was too mild to bring much to the table.

So Pat and I both think this new joint is an improvement over the old one. Better looking, interesting specials and a much friendlier atmosphere.

Bearcats Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1. thanks for the revisit!  and….here’s the new stadium tavern menu, launched this week.   From: this ain’t no bistro To: markdickhaus@yahoo.com Sent: Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:44 PM Subject: [New post] Bearcats Restaurant 1055 N. Senate Ave. (Revisit) #yiv0299625975 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv0299625975 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv0299625975 a.yiv0299625975primaryactionlink:link, #yiv0299625975 a.yiv0299625975primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv0299625975 a.yiv0299625975primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv0299625975 a.yiv0299625975primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv0299625975 WordPress.com | Benson posted: “Pat and I had lunch here in July 2013. We heard sometime back that the joint had changed owners and quite a few changes were made. I also heard that they were going to start corning their own brisket. Before they bought raw corned beef and cooked it off i” | |

November 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

2. Well Mark, your welcome. It was our pleasure. However I can not make heads or tails out of what you sent me. Remember I am merely a humble chef.

November 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm

3. Wait–I understand the fish and the awesome sweet potato fries; my tummy is growling–but is that DARK thing a burger? A burger and cottage cheese?

November 6, 2014 at 5:41 pm

• Yep. They are cooked hard on a hot flat top so they get crunchy. They are pretty good that way. Well Pat says he’s trying to lose some weight. What can I say.

November 6, 2014 at 5:48 pm

• You tell Pat if has cottage cheese, tomato slices, and blue cheese/Roquefort in one meal, that he will spiral into a Coot Vortex of old people food where the actors from Cocoon live.

November 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm

• That’s too funny. I’ll make a point of telling him.

November 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm

4. Love the idea of a restaurant with the name of The Living Room Lounge. Bearcats doesn’t sound quite as cozy, but the replacement of cement with wood floors sounds like a good start to bringing in some warmth. I don’t know about you, Benson, but I’m all for finding great dives where the money is spent in the kitchen and not on decor, but there have been times where I’ve found it difficult to concentrate on fine food if I’m freezing–and occasionally an atmosphere can just make you “feel” cold by the look of it.
    And by the look of it, oh boy, do those sweet potato fries look inviting. I go a bit weak in the knees for a good platter of them.
    Cheers!

November 9, 2014 at 11:47 am

• Like the old boy said it’s hard to eat ambiance. The Bearcats name comes from the old auto that was built in the building many years back. The Stutz Bearcat.
      The Living Room Lounge was a comfortable place even after the first change of owners. Unpretentious,good burgers and a nice selection of draft beer. They also offered pretty good steak specials. The new owner of Stutz, a guy named Tim did wonders to this place. I don’t expect or want “haute cuisine” every time. Give me honest food done well and I’m a happy camper. That being said my fish was pretty good just a wee bit scary.

November 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm