G.T South’s Rib House 5711 E 71 St. Street

Now this is a rarity for this spot. I bought a voucher for food for a joint and was able to use it. I purchased a voucher from Amazon Local for G.T.’s. Nine bucks for 15 dollars of food. Good deal. I don’t know why they ran the promotion, because the food is really pretty good.

As soon as you walk in you are seduced by the aroma. BBQ. Smells like a rib joint. The ribs are not available until dinner. However they have a very solid lunch menu.

They have a website but it doesn’t show any prices. I didn’t even try to scan their book like menu. But for what it’s worth their prices are very good.

GT South 003

GT South 007

GT South 005

Pat’s platter was huge. We’re talking 12 inch oval with just enough room for a muffin. The sides were put up in 4 oz. ramekins and had to be placed on the side. A bunch of food for $11.50.

They serve the meat dry, with sauce on the side,which I like. They offer 3 sauces. Hot or medium red and a Carolina pepper, vinegar. I decided on a brisket sandwich. It comes 2 ways. Standard for,I don’t remember and a Jumbo for $8.50. With the sandwiches they provide chips and choice of side.

GT South 002

I expected the brisket to be sliced, as that is what I am told that is how it is done for platters. Oops. It’s shredded on the sandwich. Actually they might have even said that on the menu. I don’t recall. No matter the sandwich was very good. The brisket was both moist and tender,with a nice smokiness. The Carolina sauce I asked for on the side was so-so. As were the greens I ordered to go with it. They were tasty enough but they needed an oomph. Maybe some hock or more cooking time. I was concentrating more on my cow meat. I can say the pot liquor for the greens was pretty flat. No matter. My sandwich was good. And I like ruffled chips served with sandwiches, more joints should do that. In my opinion.

Isn't that a lovely toasted bun.

Isn’t that a lovely toasted bun.

Our server tried to tempt us with desert. We were too full. She did manage to talk Pat into a cookie. And it was gratis. Cool. It was my turn to buy. On the service, it was spot on. Everyone I saw or came in contact with friendly and professional. I saw a busser walk through our dining area at least 3 times during our lunch. Each time he was on point. The last time he asked me if I needed a go box,as I was letting my food “settle” before I commenced eating. Our personal server was wonderful. All in all this joint has a great wait staff. So. In our opinion: Great food + Great service = Go there.

G.T. South's Rib House on Urbanspoon

GT South's

1. $11.50 sounds about right. BBQ is never cheap, but if done well, it’s worth it. I always prefer the cornbread to a dinner roll with it, too. Usually we get white bread, and I could definitely do without that for the rest of my life. Glad you enjoyed your toasted bun!

November 13, 2014 at 9:17 pm

• Oh the price is right. I have no idea about Pat’s muffin. Of course I do have thoughts about muffins. Never mind. This joint has some pretty good BBQ..I crave some old school Texas brisket

November 13, 2014 at 9:38 pm

2. I would try this joint if I lived in your city, Benson. It looks delish, and the staff sounds like a bunch of pros, and the price appears right. Triple yahtzee. Nice day for all. 🙂

November 13, 2014 at 11:08 pm

• Yahtzee is cool.

November 14, 2014 at 12:21 am

3. When I think about the time and skill it requires to make a first class BBQ

November 16, 2014 at 2:26 pm

• Real BBQ is tough. You can’t learn about it in a book,for sure. I am surprised you haven’t commented on Milktooth. That joint has some gangsta’ things on the menu. I like different things but BBQ is youst so comfy.

November 16, 2014 at 2:32 pm

4. I swear I did not press reply. That was some demonic trick of my computer. Regardless, the time and skill for BBQ is something monumental. It certainly seems like you all lucked out–or bumped into the place that has some work ethic behind it. Sorry bout the greens tho, and I am a huge fan of vinegar based sauces. The kickier the better.
    This would be a joint I’d put first on my list when searching for a great place to allow Indiana to make a lovely impression.
    And I’m all about to go boxes.
    And free cookies.
    Cheers, Benson

November 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm

• Oh I know a bit about haunted computers. The first reply I was attempting on your latest post for example. I don’t know why people just don’t get it about greens. They demand long cook time. This one fellow I worked with at a hotel put his on the fire with ham hocks on a Thursday for a brunch buffet on Sunday.He would cook them down all day. Add ice to cool,put ’em into a new pot and started all over again. Now that was some pot liquor.

November 16, 2014 at 2:43 pm