G.G’s Bar & Grill 5701 E. 71 st. Street

People that go to bars realize they can be placed into 2 basic categories. Bars that make you nervous. Those bars you never even think of eating at. So you finish your drink. leave and probably never return. The second category is bars that make you feel more relaxed. Places you wouldn’t mind having a second beverage or even order a nosh.

Well I think G.G’s falls into the second category. We stopped there for a couple of beers last week and liked the whole scene. The menu has your basic bar fry food and it also has a good selection of not so basic pub grub.

G,G's 002G,G's 003

I really had my eye set on the Ribeye steak. But at the last-minute I thought it might be too much food for lunch. As it turned out what I did eat was just as much.

One of the specials was a slice of New York pizza for $1.99. We decided to have that as an appetizer. They make their own crust and sauce so I wanted to try it anyway.

G.G'S 004

This is one half of the slice. My guess is it was 1/4 of a 14 inch pie. I think they only offer thin crust. The crust was pretty good, it had a nice flavor and decent mouth feel. I would have liked it a bit crisper though. As for the sauce it too had a pretty good flavor it just needed a little more pizzazz. The addition of salt would be a good start,in my opinion.

As for Pat he had planned on ordering the filet. But the allure of the big pig was too much for him.

G.G'S 005

G,G's 001

G.G'S 006

They offered 3 lunch specials one of which was chili with grilled cheese sandwich for $ 5.95. Now that is as Hoosier as you can get.

G.G'S 008

The sandwich was what you would imagine. Buttered Texas toast and American cheese. Something I would hardly ever order out but it was a cold day and I wanted chili. What is it about grilled cheese sandwiches and soup that sound so compelling?

As for the chili it was a very good example of Indiana style chili, nothing fancy just tasty and filling. Chili is one of the many cooking things that intrigue me. All the different ways people prepare it fascinates me.

This chili was mostly ground beef with the main seasoning being chile powder. A mix of chile peppers and cumin. It had kidney beans and diced green pepper, definitely a Hoosier and “near South” thing. But the one thing that brought back the memories was the sweetness and spiciness of the soup. A job well done.

G.G'S 007

So once again we introduce to you a bar. A bar that has some very good food, very good prices and a very good bar tender/server. I believe her name is Nicole. Remember its name. G.G’s Bar & Grill.

GG's Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

1. The pizza slice looked huge, Benson, agreed. But it did not look very New York to me. To pass that test, there needs to be some olive oil dripping down toward your hand when you fold the slice in half to eat it. I appreciate that you call it a pie!

November 19, 2014 at 5:19 pm

• I did get a chuckle about the name. Since this is Indianapolis I wasn’t too worried about authenticity. As a cook I only am concerned about the taste and technique. I haven’t been to the “Big Apple” in over 25 years so I can’t remember what it’s supposed to look like. Thanks.

November 19, 2014 at 5:27 pm

• You’re welcome. Living in Syracuse for 33 years, I still consider myself able to judge New York pie by a picture on a blog. How’s that for authentic logic?

November 19, 2014 at 5:41 pm

• That is some great logic.And every one knows Hoosiers are big fans of logic.

November 19, 2014 at 5:49 pm

2. So they should have taken the salt OUT of Pat’s breading and put it in the pizza sauce. You are really making me want pizza right now. And mushrooms. I like my chili with beans, so that looked yummy on a cold day like today. (We had frost on our windshields yesterday!). And as to the menu, I am reminded of Seinfeld:

“Maybe I don’t use my exclamation points as haphazardly as you do.”
    – Jake, to Elaine, in “The Sniffing Accountant”

November 20, 2014 at 10:50 am

• To me chili,,pizza and gumbo are always good. Just some are better than others. I don’t remember beans in any of the chili I’ve had in Texas. Chile in New Mex. sure. So is my memory bad or are beans in chili more a Kerby thing than a Texas thing?

November 20, 2014 at 11:03 am

• Either way. Everything is so dang open-minded now, you can’t have a preference on anything. I think no beans was old school. Now we need fiber. In my mind, the more ingredients, the better. Just throw everyone in the pool, like Guy Fieri says. If it’s pizza, put it all on. Except I’ve never seen one person in my life order anchovies on a pizza. I wouldn’t mind trying it; it just doesn’t really happen here.

November 20, 2014 at 11:05 am

• No anchovies,really. That is one of my favorite thing on pizza. Try anchovy, black olive and onion. If you don’t want to try it out in public do it on the down low at home. Yum.

November 20, 2014 at 12:02 pm

3. Nothing like a neighborhood pub and the necessary good grub to keep you coming back. It sounds like a sweet little joint. Hope it’s close to home, Benson.
    Now as far as chili goes, my family is in constant competition with one another and we all are pig-headed enough to believe that our own version beats all others available to date. Personally, they likely have acknowledged mine as being the one to surpass, but refuse to make mention of this aloud as I’m the one with the least amount of professional hours behind me. Negligible in comparison. But seriously, my chili …
    I’ve experimented with a million variations over the last two decades and every so often I’ll have a little “dinner party” where all I serve are three or four pots of chili – all done differently and let folks vote for a winner. Weirdly enough, most people tend to go for the Mexican Mole Chili. Points to our chocolate addiction??
    And then we should get started on the beers, right?
    Cheers, Benson!

November 23, 2014 at 11:55 am

• I have a great love for neighborhood bars. Unfortunately the closest ones to me are pretty much Hipster joints. Good beers but overpriced.
      Have you ever put noodle in your chili? That is the first chili I remember as a child. Your chili parties sound great. I’ll bring the beer

November 23, 2014 at 12:07 pm

• Huh, noodles … reaching back to my youth (and it is a stretch) I just may remember a potluck or two where somebody’s crockpot was filled with chili and the odd ingredient of noodles. Although, to be fair, in the Midwest, everybody brought a crockpot and it was all “casserole.”
        And you’re on, Benson. I’ve been getting a few great beers from brewer friends who lately are all about aging their brews in barrels–bourbon and whisky. Wahoo!

November 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm

• Indianapolis has had a boom in new breweries. Now the number is 24, and counting. Across the state there is over 100. So far there hasn’t been a saturation point. I just love the variety. I have sampled a few of the barrel aged brews and so far I have not been disappointed. Like the adage says “Beer,proof that God loves us.”

November 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm