Tortas Guicho Domingues y el Cubanito 641 Virginia Avenue

Now isn’t that a lovely name. Rolls off the tongue doesn’t it. Pat and I are late to the party for this joint, judging from the number of Blog posts. But here we are.

tortas 014

The place was open in 1960 and the dining rooms reflect that era well. Except for the one masonry and brick wall and the exposed duct work

tortas 007

As soon as you are seated you are given two small bowls of salsa and a grand bowl of pickled carrot and peppers.

tortas 001

The carrot and chiles were excellent. Either eaten out of hand or put in your sandwich. Since they offered no chips I assume the salsa was intended as condiments. Based upon the amount of tiny seeds I figured the green salsa was a tomatillo sauce. It was so so. As for the red it was a red pod puree. Slight heat and a wonderful earthiness that dried red chiles give. However they were not strained. I wasn’t taught that way, so I really didn’t dig it.

They offer tamales, tacos and quessadillas. But their main bag are tortas. Mexican style sandwiches.

Their menu has the sandwiches identified by nationality, number or celebrity. They also have a build your own category. That’s what Pat opted for.

tortas 009

tortas 022

tortas 012

I required steak and chorizo. So I ordered # 22. The Mexican. Grilled steak,chorizo,avocado, cilantro and bell peppers topped with mozzarella cheese. Very, very good. With all the stuff offered on the sandwich it could have been huge. This sandwich was a wonderful example of proportion. A great filling to bread ratio. The bread was nicely crusted and the interior had just the right amount of fluffiness. I love their bread. I loved this sandwich. Of course you all know that. I mean their spot on the Spoon shows a 94% approval. And all those bloggers? Well. As I said we were late. Don’t you be late. This joint is legit. Excellent sandwiches. They also have a great collection of Jarritos. So. Your move.

tortas 013

Tortas Guicho Dominguez y el Cubanito on Urbanspoon

1. Mmmmmmm. Muy bueno! I’d go there in a minuto if I lived in your neck of the woods, Benson. No wonder they are a favorite and have lasted since 1960. Look at the sandwich and salsa and peppers!

November 26, 2014 at 9:01 pm

• Oh yeah. Heck the pickled carrot and peppers were worth the price of admission. I can’t believe I waited so long. Oh I forgot to mention. Our tab was less than 14 bucks. And it is right down the street form one of my favorite breweries.

November 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm

2. Yes, please. I’m jonesing for salsa and good bread right now!

November 28, 2014 at 12:00 pm

• Especially after that fowl display of over indulgence yesterday. Alas I cannot eat hot stuff as I once did. I made a batch last week and it tore me up. Well I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

November 28, 2014 at 12:04 pm

• Hope you did, too. My husband is cooking another turkey right now, and we’ll eat it for dinner.

November 28, 2014 at 4:28 pm

3. I adore any place that has free funky condiments and pickles. That would have me hooked in five seconds flat. And sometimes that can be my downfall too. Especially with Mexican food. I over condimentize. And then I potentially lose out on all the unique flavors of the dish. oops.
    This place looks like a total winner, Benson. And it gets a double thumbs up from me because of the exposed brick and mortar. My next house should really be a decrepit old building. They just ooze history and style. And stories.
    Hope you’ve recovered from turkey day. I’m still up for more. I’ll probably get sick of the leftovers mid December.

November 30, 2014 at 10:27 am

• You are so right about all things pickled. They always make my taste buds stand at attention. Ready for action. As for Thanksgiving. Some times I think I’ll skip tradition and do rib roast or sea bass. Aw, who am I kidding. Turkey and dressing is such a part of my genetic make up I think if I skipped turkey in November I would suffer trytophane withdrawal the rest of the year. Well good to hear from you and I’m glad your Thanksgiving was good.

November 30, 2014 at 11:07 am