86th Street Pub

86 th. Street Pub 003

Whatever you might say about our choices in places to eat you gotta’ admit we can sure find some interesting pubs.

The 86th Street Pub has been around since 1990. I have never heard of it. They have a “sister” joint on the South side; Pat’s turf; that had gone through some extensive remodeling, including a name change. Pat stopped in there for a beer and that’s where he learned about the place.

86 th. Street Pub 004

It’s a nice sized place and they are far from shy decorating for Christmas. They have raised paneling throughout and they took the time to cover the recessed portions in gift wrapping paper. It makes the whole dining area look as though it is walled with presents.

Since they have hand breaded mushrooms on the menu; and since Pat and I both love good ‘shrums we ordered an appetizer.

86 th. Street Pub 006

These beauties were as tasty as they look. Hand breaded mushrooms, when done right, are wonderful. These were done right. They were as good as the ones at the Checkered Flag Tavern. And they cost $5.50. You can also choose a combo of mushrooms and pickles for the same price.

I had a bit of trouble on what else to order. I couldn’t decide on their cheese steak or the French dip. They do a house roasted beef, which they use for their Pub Cheese Steak. Meat,peppers,onions and mushrooms all topped with Swiss cheese for $8.75. The French Dip was  shaved steak with Swiss and au jus for $7.75. Both come with chips or fries. I decided on the cheese steak with chips.

86 th. Street Pub 011

The sandwich was big. Definitely able to handle the hardy appetite. Overall it was pretty tasty. However I think it would have been better had they not been so assertive in re-thermalizing the already cooked meat. Put the beef in the au jus to reheat. Drop on the flat top just long enough to transfer the veggies and cheese. I actually think that would improve an already good sandwich.

86 th. Street Pub 012

86 th. Street Pub 013

86 th. Street Pub 009

86 th. Street Pub 018

86 th. Street Pub 010

So in our estimation the 86th Street Pub is a keeper. Unpretentious. Honest food and honest drink. They offer an exceptional collection of craft beers. I’m sure that is due to the Manager, Brian, being a beer freak. For which I thank him. And in addition to all that they are not afraid to celebrate Christmas.

86 th. Street Pub 014

86 th. Street Pub 016

86th Street Pub on Urbanspoon

1. So pretty! Christmas lights are such a comfort; I’m typing by them right now. Little happy blinking things. Well, I hope you talked to them about rethermalizing. The shrooms sure look good. That Touch Tunes isn’t quite as snazzy as a Wurlitzer, but…

December 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

• You are so right about Christmas lights. They are indeed special, because this is a special time of year. I did mention the rethermalizing deal to Brian,the manager and he seemed receptive. So who knows

December 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm

2. Did they have other types of cheeses for those of us who don’t go for Swiss, Benson? I’d want provolone on the cheese steak and French dip. Or maybe even cheddar. How was the jus for dipping? I did like the Christmas decoratiing. Very nice.

December 5, 2014 at 12:16 am

• They offered, American,pepper jack,and cheddar as well as the Swiss. I didn’t try the au jus.but I would expect it it was beef base and water. Authentic au jus is a fading delight,I am afraid to say. Their Christmas decor is something isn’t it. As soon as I walked it I felt warm and comfy. That was before any Irish too.

December 5, 2014 at 8:16 am

• I don’t think that provolone is an Indianapolis thing. Dang. I’ll have to fly some out when I visit, huh? 🙂

December 5, 2014 at 8:41 am

• No, provolone has become more available in taverns. So you can keep your stache at home. We got you covered

December 5, 2014 at 8:53 am

• That’s great to hear, Benson. It’s a go-to cheese!

December 5, 2014 at 8:54 am

3. Ceanie ones

Funny – we had our dinner there last night, and here is your review. It’s a place we go when we don’t know where to go, or want to be informal. They have a lot of good beers, and the breaded tenderloin is really yummy. I have the summer chicken with a side of veggies or salad when I’m trying to be good. You’re right about the lights – the place was sure a lot brighter than the last time we were in!

December 6, 2014 at 11:30 am

4. Festive, indeed. It’s like eating inside Santa’s North Pole Pub. I like a place that focuses on honesty. It’s getting to be a rarity and I’d likely support it (as long as they were being honest about their honesty.)
    And although I know all my food sites and grocers on kicking all thing beef into high gear about now, I’m still hooked on turkey. Must have more! Maybe another week or so and I’ll start thinking about rib roasts.
    Ooh, that does sound good actually. Honestly.

December 7, 2014 at 11:15 am

• Oh. Rib roast! Rib eye steaks. I have a hankering for flesh that accepts cooking temperatures. But this is turkey Holiday Season. I put out a plea on my bistro facebook for suggestions for joints to visit. We do have a plethora of decent pubs around, but there is something about a good diner. I honestly think this joint is honest about it’s honesty. I’ll be cooking turkey again on Christmas day. What is life without tradition?

December 7, 2014 at 11:27 am