Thai Fusion 9250-B West 10 th Street

thai fusion 004

Last week after lunch we stopped at a little bar on West 16th street for a beer. There we met Dawn who told us about this joint. She was very excited about the place,so we had to check it out. The place is pretty small. It is located in a small commercial space next to same sort of movie rental place. According to Nellie, the owner that generates a bit of business for here. People order food and then go get a movie. Sounds like a plan to me. We had a nice talk with Nellie after lunch. She is a very charming woman. Knowledgeable and cordial. And she is comfortable with her own food so she is more than happy to suggest other Thai food spots.

thai fusion 006

They have the menu on the wall, which is always convenient. They also have selected items as $4.95 lunch specials. We decided on the big board menu. First we ordered a vegetable spring roll for $3.95 and deep-fried tofu for $4.95.

thai fusion 010

The Spring roll was huge. Even cutting it in half gave us 2 pieces easily 5 inches long. Possibly because it was so long but it didn’t seem to be wrapped as tightly as others I have tried. Of course that in no way detracted from the taste and the freshness of the roll. It was very nice and the sauce served with it was outstanding. A sauce like this is served with a lot of rolls I have tried,however this seem to be a cut or two above the others.

thai fusion 012

I am not a big fan of tofu. I must admit that I enjoy cooking with it though. I liked the creaminess of the inside, it just had very little flavor of it’s own. But it was a nice contrast of texture.

thai fusion 018

thai fusion 021

Pat was more concise today than normal. I know he is a big fan of fried tofu, since it is a common item on his house menus. I just don’t have the requisite knowledge to compare the 2 different textures. So now I am curious about the difference.

I was compelled by the pineapple and bell pepper listed in the ingredients of the Pad Prew Waan. It is a type of sweet and sour using a sweet chile as a sweetening agent. It was good. A great array of texture,with a spicy sweetness that slowly increases in heat that you have a nice buzz on the tongue. And it came with white rice.

thai fusion 014

What a splendid lunch for $8.95. Of course the tomatoes were your typical winter variety, not fully ripe. This didn’t really effect the overall dish, just an observation.

thai fusion 016

So now all the folks on the West side can get their Thai fix. And at an excellent place,too. So Nellie thanks again for the food and good luck to you.

Thai Fusion on Urbanspoon

1. It all really looks delicious, Benson. I have to admit, I have only eaten Thai food once, in Carlsbad, Calif., when we were taken to a Thai restaurant by my dear wife Karen’s stepmother Katie. And I found it interesting. But I’m such a huge fan of Chinese that I don’t work it into my rotation back here in Syracuse. Your photos and descriptions remind me that I should give it another go.

January 9, 2015 at 11:05 am

• Good. Thai uses a different pallet of spices and more chile. Expand your horizons Mark. Try Thai and Vietnamese whenever you have a chance. Good food.

January 9, 2015 at 11:16 am

• I am going to, Benson. Thank you.

January 9, 2015 at 12:35 pm

2. Yummy! I love Thai food. We have a half-black, half-Thai (self-proclaimed Blasian) in our band, and he makes good Thai food. It’s confusing because we also have a lady who has Taiwanese blood, and people want to call her Thai, but that’s not really your problem, is it? What pretty colors! The spring rolls look nice and fresh! I love bean sprouts, peanuts, lime, cilantro. Oh, and Thai coconut soup. Those are a few of my favorite things. The huge grocery store here stopped selling sprouts of any sort two years ago, so they are hard to find. Well, it looks like you sure scored at Thai Fusion. I have only had coffee and a smoothie today, and that looks like it would hit the spot on a cold winter’s day. Do they deliver to Austin?

January 9, 2015 at 3:57 pm

• I don’t think they deliver that far,but they do deliver. I am so glad I hit a taste bud for you. The foods you mentioned are some of my favorites as well. For me mung bean sprouts are hard to find.
      I sometimes resort to caned. Keep them cold and then shock them in an ice bath, drain and pat dry and they are passable for some things. Now you got me hungry again. How can anyone not like cilantro?

January 9, 2015 at 4:12 pm

• Just Communists. Or maybe those Saudis who are jacking our refineries. 🙂

January 9, 2015 at 4:13 pm

3. If I could have an IV set up with a slow drip of Tom Yum soup I think I’d have died and gone to pig heaven. Oh, I have such a weakness for Thai food. We’ve got quite a few spots in my neck of the woods, but it’s such a dynamic cuisine to research and wrestle with in your own kitchen. The savory smells are truly divine. I’d like the inside of my casket to be strewn with kaffir lime leaves, cilantro and lemongrass.
    And all the chili based sauces? Sheesh, no words to describe that blast of beauty in the mouth.
    Okay, I’m sold. I’m cooking Thai this week.
    Thanks for the mid-winter meal motivation, Benson!

January 11, 2015 at 12:22 pm

• When’s dinner? Your casket? Now that would be some serious aroma.
      Certain things are just meant to go together. Chiles, lime and cilantro are just the start of a great meal. Thanks for dropping by. Cheers to you.

January 11, 2015 at 1:31 pm