Pearl Street Pizza Pub 65 E. Pearl Street

pearl street 014

I don’t usually go out at night. Especially on Saturday night. However I decided to make an exception this Saturday night. I had plans to meet some friends at a new joint on Mass. Ave. I really wanted to check this particular joint out.

When I go downtown I always take a bus;or a cab. Parking is insane, and expensive. Bus fare is cheap and even cab fare is reasonable compared to driving. However I had no idea that there were two events going on at the Stadium and the Arena. So long story short I decided to head to Pearl Street. Pat and I have been there before, before the blog and we had talked about going back. Well I just jumped the gun.

I know from earlier experience they can make a good pie. I ordered an 8 inch deep dish pizza. The basic price is $8.75. For meat it is an extra $ 1.50 and $1.00 for veggies. That makes a sausage and mushroom deep dish pizza pie $11.25. I think that is pretty expensive. Another reason I prefer lunch. They do offer a cup of soup or a salad for an extra $1.99 with a pizza.

The soup they had for the day was a spicy chicken with gorgonzola.

pearl street 013

A smooth soup with a bit of a bite and a touch of bleu cheese funk from the Gorgonzola. I found it to be a very good soup. What I enjoyed most about it was the bleu cheese component was added as a garnish so the taste wasn’t changed by heat.

pearl street 016

Now the pie. I thought it was delicious. The dough was fluffy and bread like around the edges. With a nice buttery top

crunch and the bottom with the all the good stuff in it was nice and crisp. I think every part was great. From the sauce to the sausage and mushrooms I thought it was a fine piece of work.

pearl street 015

I think this place is a wonderful choice for a pizza and beer. Right smack dab in the middle of the down town loop. It sits on Pearl Street. That is the alley that runs from Meridian Street to Penn. on the North side of the Century Building. In that area called the Wholesale District. So if your are in the area and have a hankering for a pie and beer this is as good as you will find.

Pearl Street Pizza & Pub on Urbanspoon

1. The pizza shots have me very hungry, Benson. Wow. Deep dish looks delish.

January 25, 2015 at 1:42 pm

2. I am always on the hunt for a great slice of zah, and I’m terribly picky when it comes to crust–more so than most of the other ingredients.
    Having grown up with a local family pizzeria where all the kids would go after any school or social event, my tastes were carved around thin, bubbly, yeasty crusts. They were thinly stretched, but never caved under the weight of their toppings. Boy those folks knew how to cook.
    Going to university, the only pizza joints were Unos. I could not get into deep dish. Sadly.
    Traveling many times to Italy, the flatbreads I tasted there were just like home. Those insanely gorgeous crusts that made me want to cry.
    But Benson, your picture has me thinking I’d could easily be convinced to try a slice. So glad to hear it was worthy.

January 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm

• Deep dish desire is recent for me. I have always liked the thin and crisp before. Not sure when or where my mouth changed. Maybe it’s a phase.

January 25, 2015 at 3:26 pm

3. I think I can hear the crunch from teeth biting into that pizza from here! Never heard of a chicken gorgonzola soup or gorgonzola in soup at all. Do you find that your taste changes as you age? I can’t eat as many jalapenos as I used to, and I count that as weakness. I hated sausage my whole life, and in the past few years, I’ve come to like Italian sausage. Which means I can get right on board with that sausage and mushroom pie. My pet peeve is when they don’t push the ingredients out to the perimeter, and I have to eat two inches of crust before I get to what I paid for. That picture looks heavenly.

January 26, 2015 at 10:51 am

• I think tastes do indeed change. Some science types contend they can change as often as twice per year. I don’t know about that but I do know I can’t eat jalapenos like I used to. I have always enjoyed bleu cheese,of all varieties. Roguefort being my favorite;and the most expensive.. The only reason I ordered the soup was because of the cheese component. It was added on top,so the heat didn’t really effect. I think “melted” bleu cheese has a metallic taste. Several years ago I found a pizza oven at an auction,super cheap. So I “taught” myself about pizza making,and the first thing I made myself do was start with the toppings from the outer ring and work in to the center. That and to add cheese under the sauce. Nothing bugged me more that that expanse of barren crust. As for sausage I love any and all kinds. Red beans and rice are mighty nice. And they have to have Andouille. Are hot links big in your part of the world?

January 26, 2015 at 11:25 am

• Nope, I don’t see a lot of hot links. I don’t see much sausage until we drive closer to Fredericksburg, with its big German population.

January 26, 2015 at 11:51 am