Chatham Tap Pub 719 Mass. Ave.

Chatam 019

As you can imagine,this is an English type Pub. Complete with soccer games on TV, English draft beers and a few English style food items. Pat swore we had eaten here before. I remember coming here I just don’t recall eating here. Obviously it was pre- blog days.

The menu struck me as one where the folks have a creative spin for their sandwiches. They offer different bread choices,which isn’t uncommon. The uncommon part is the 2 ciabatta choices they have. Both of which are done in-house. They buy the dough and then proof it and bake it. For one they add rosemary. They also offer a rye, a Parisian and a black bean and salsa bread. I like that. It gives the customer a chance to “personalize” their meal.

What sort of pub would it be without fish and chips? As we all know Pat is a freak for fried fish.

So naturally he ordered a full order.

Chatam 006

Chatam 001

Chatam 010

Chatam 003

I was more interested in the sandwiches. My first thought was a pear and Gorgonzola with bacon. I loved the idea,I was concerned about how much heat was applied to the cheese. I love bleu cheese,I just don’t like it hot. It tastes metallic to me. Of course I didn’t ask before hand. I ordered a Granny Smith apple and smoked Gouda on rosemary ciabatta. I added bacon. They refer to their bacon as rasher bacon. Now what does that mean? Rasher means slice. Some people use that term in reference to a portion of bacon. Chatham uses a bacon made from pork loin not pork belly. Similar to “Canadian bacon. That is their Rasher Bacon. The sandwich was full of apple, with a slight taste of cinnamon. The bread was excellent, but I think the added bacon carried the sandwich. I think that without it I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much. As for the smoked Gouda, the cheese could have phoned it in. A very small piece that was hardly melted. Don’t get me wrong. I really enjoyed the taste I just, by default, ponder how it could have been better.

More cheese, melted, and maybe a “dressing” of a whole grain mustard. A Panini press would be a perfect tool. Also I appreciate the lettuce and tomato but I though it was superfluous. Oh I will be back. After talking with Taylor,our bar tender she gave me the 411 on the pear, Gorgonzola sandwich. The cheese was enhanced with a mayo so the result was a creamy and sweet. And it comes with Rasher Bacon. So you get sweet and salty and savory. Bonus

Chatam 003

Chatam 013

Chatam 016

So there you have it. Right smack dab in the middle of Mass. Ave. you too can enjoy the taste of an English Pub. Good food and good beer.

Chatham Tap Pub on Urbanspoon

1. Since you often mention fried mushrooms, I would highly recommend their portabella mushroom fries. They are listed under starters, but I ordered them recently as my entree (along with a side salad, because I figured fried shrooms probably shouldn’t be my entire meal!)… so good! The portabella was cut into strips and fried in a light batter so it had a perfect balance of meaty yet crunchy, and the dipping sauce had enough heat to keep it interesting without burning out your taste buds. Definitely worth checking out!

February 5, 2015 at 5:43 pm

• Thanks. You are right about our propensity for mushrooms. I can’t believe we missed that. So glad you mentioned it.

February 5, 2015 at 5:46 pm

2. How neat to have an English pub near you. I’d have to drive half an hour to find something, and I’m sure it would be congested with hipsters. It would never occur to me to put a pear and Gorgonzola with bacon in my mouth. You’ve eaten that sandwich before, no? Glad you went with bacon.

February 5, 2015 at 5:52 pm

• That is the cool thing about being an old time chef.Darn few things have missed your mouth. I have made sandwiches of ciabatta, pear, American bacon, Maytag blue for effect, and topped with Munster cheese. That is one thing I dig about this joint. They experiment. Their bacon has a nice smoky taste just not the crunch that pork belly has. Hey some of this you can do at home. Get some good bread,some different cheeses and some meat and fruits or veggies and “get ‘er done”

February 5, 2015 at 6:07 pm

• The problem is good cheese is so expensive. I’ll get muenster or havarti at the deli, but any nicer cheeses are $10 for the size of a golf ball. I have to wait for the holidays to sample all the fancy cheeses and crackers!

February 5, 2015 at 6:22 pm

• Muenster cheese rocks and for a couple of bucks you can make a few sandwiches. And not all bleu cheese is expensive. Think Stella brand bleu cheese crumbles. There are so many exciting things you can do on the cheap. Avocado and cheddar or pepper jack with chicken or turkey. It is a lot of fun. And you get to eat your mistakes. Bonus.

February 5, 2015 at 6:32 pm

• I do like avocado, cheddar, pepper jack, and turkey! Yum. I also wish we could afford more goat cheese.

February 5, 2015 at 6:42 pm

• Yep.Goat cheese is problematic. It has a nice texture and flavor it”s just too damn pricey.Short of making your own I don’t know what to say.

February 5, 2015 at 6:51 pm

• Kerley, Do you live anywhere near a Trader Joe’s? They have a great selection of cheeses at about half the price of other stores. It’s gotten to the point that I can’t even bring myself to spend the money on cheese at the regular grocery store anymore.

February 5, 2015 at 9:04 pm

• We just got one about 45 min from us. When we have visited it, we get unperishables, since they could go bad on the drive back (especially since we stop off on the way). I’ll check them out next time we go. Thanks.

February 6, 2015 at 10:07 am

3. I swear my son’s bedroom could double as an English pub. The pictures of his favorite footballers, Tottenham Hotspur paraphernalia strewn all about, and half eaten sandwiches lying next to bottles of fizzy juice that I’m sure he wishes were ale.
    I adore good pub food. Mostly food made into the form of a pie. Or a fabulous ploughman’s lunch. I could eat that everyday. Branston Pickle is a condiment we Americans have not yet learned to value as it should be. I’d place it on a small throne, right next to HP brown sauce.
    But I draw the line at what the English call bacon. It is not my kind of bacon. Yes, pretty much like Canadian bacon, but it lacks the crispy, fatty, smokey deliciousness that makes my blood buzz with excitement. Ah, bacon.
    Sounds a good find, Benson (or rediscovery).
    Oh, by the way, is the name of the cafe up in Boston called the Noname Cafe? I couldn’t quite make it out and want to have a visit next time I’m in town.
    Cheers!

February 8, 2015 at 3:34 pm

• So true about the bacon. We Colonials have it all over our cousins in that regard. I will say this,their “bacon” had a touch of smokiness to it and wasn’t a bad tasting ham. Actually we had planned on going to a Peruvian joint but they were closed so we fell back to the Pub. Decent sandwiches. Of course more cheese and more toasting would have helped; and of course pork belly.

February 8, 2015 at 3:50 pm