Thai Paradise

This is another new restaurant that has just opened in the last few weeks. I haven’t counted but it seems that Indy has several Thai eateries. This one is just a block off of the Circle,on Market. Making it the most urban place.

Their menu is pretty much like every other Thai restaurant. Noodles, rice and veggies in varying degrees of sweet and spicy. And as most Asian style restaurants around here you can get a great lunch for $7.99, complete with soup and egg roll.

The place is small,with two rows of tables along both walls and  an aisle running down the center. They seem to have a regular lunch crowd and the joint filled up really fast. Under these circumstances you really need to have your act together or else the scene can turn into a fiasco. In that regard they really know what they are doing.

thai paradise 006

As you can see the soup wasn’t the most photogenic of dishes. It was barely a cup but it was pretty tasty. It was also lukewarm, which leads me to believe they stage them in advance to get a jump-start on the service. The egg roll was okay, I prefer a spring roll, but a crisp fried roll is pretty good on a cold winter day. We had just finished our first course when our main dishes were delivered. I ordered a Pad Thai with chicken, I had a major hankering for rice noodle.

thai paradise 007

It had a nice balance of sweet and spicy and a good composition of textures. About what I would expect from an Oriental” dish. I did order it hot, not Thai hot. The result was an excellent level of heat that accentuated the inherent sweetness of the sauce. The combo of mung beans and noodles is one of my favorites.

thai paradise 008

thai paradise 009

thai paradise

thai paradise 009

So now all of you downtown workers have another lunch spot. I can’t say it is a superlative example of Thai cuisine I can say it is well made and good food. Also for all folks that don’t drive downtown it is no more than a block away from the two major bus stops in the city.

Thai Paradise on Urbanspoon

1. Pad Grapow sounds like Pad Grandpa. Lukewarm soup is frustrating, just like lukewarm coffee or a lukewarm bath. Is anything good lukewarm? You like some ale like that, don’t you? Looks like you got plenty of protein in those peanuts to help you slosh through any snow. Thai food is such a nice change. We need to do it more. Egg rolls ARE good on a cold day, I agree. Glad you got to enjoy mung beans and noodles.

February 18, 2015 at 4:29 pm

• You got that right. Forty five degree soup is bad, some ales at 45 are pretty good. I sure do like mung beans and rice noodles in any kind of weather. I think everyone can use a little Thai in their diet.

February 18, 2015 at 4:50 pm

2. I had a bad soup experience starter last weekend, too, Benson. And yet they recovered somewhat, and so did I. The other two plates here all look pretty, and the price sure was right.

February 19, 2015 at 10:51 am

• Oh the soup didn’t really bug me. Although it was lukewarm it still had a good flavor. I just considered it a nice segue to my hot plate of noodles. Of course I am sure I would be singing a different tune if that was all I had ordered.

February 19, 2015 at 10:58 am

• Yes, that is true. All courses relative, my friend.

February 19, 2015 at 11:25 am

3. Benson, my mouth is watering at the thought of some of my favorite Thai dishes. I crave–on a daily basis–a great Tom Yang Goong. Sour and heat are a delectable duo. And an even more delectable duo is heat and coconut cream. What I wouldn’t give for a plate of Panaeng! Spicy, sweet and velvet smooth. Ah yes, total heaven.
    The dishes you had sounded delightful, and nothing warms up your insides like a bit of Thai heat on your fork.
    Glad you found another winner. Sounds like a slew of others have too.

February 22, 2015 at 1:22 pm

• Right you are. Chiles and fish sauce are great companions in the winter. This particular joint is the closest to me of all Thai places in town so I hope to go back more often. Of course I never seem to have time to re visit all the restaurants I would like. Which is odd, considering that my only job is to hang out and eat. Well.as always good to hear from you.

February 22, 2015 at 4:29 pm