Burgerhaus 335 West 9th. Street.

This joint is on the Canal walk. Which means it is tough to find the first time. There is a parking garage above the it and they do validate the parking. So it is free to park. Just don’t be confused by the credit card only sign. You can get a ticket and then go ahead to the parking area. Don’t. I repeat don’t back up and go park someplace else.

As for the place itself it is really nice. Oak wood throughout. A charming and cozy little place. With a killer out-door space right on the Canal.

506

508

510

They have a little bar in the front. We chose to sit in the dining room. We thought it would lessen the temptation for beer drinking. As the name suggests they offer burgers. They have a proprietary blend of local source meat portioned out into 1/2 pound patties. I had a few questions about the source of the beef, and the buns. Also what was in the slaw etc. Unfortunately our server,Suzy had only been there 2 weeks so she did not know.

Now Suzy did a bang up job in service, I just would like to see more knowledge of servers about the stuff they are trying to sell. So maybe the bosses should stress that a bit more.

Well as for the burgers. They really and truly rock.

516

burgerhaus 001

518

Their Haus burger is served on a Brioche bun with butter lettuce , tomato and red onion. Also with a choice of “typical” cheese and fries or coleslaw. All this for $9.50. In some areas that is pricey. Downtown it is, unfortunately typical.

514

I ordered my burger mid rare. And that was exactly how it came out.

522

It was a delicious piece of meat and bun. Simple food is so wonderful. This was one. I must say this. They offer more exotic cheeses as an option for a $1.50 upcharge. I opted for Brie. Now that was a mistake.

520

The Brie was okay. The portion was not. I think that this burger is best served sans cheese. If you feel as though you need a bit of dairy just go for the more typical options.

They have other stuff on the menu. Salads and such. But if they have Burger in its name. What does that tell you. They also have a Burger of the month, and you can sub a portabella cap for any burger for no additional charge. So this is a serious Burger joint. Enjoy.

Burgerhaus on Urbanspoon

1. Yum! I only like burgers that don’t have square processed frozen patties. That patty sure looks good. I don’t think I’d go as rare as you did–they often advise against that–but at least you got what you asked for. $10 is the base price for a decent burger and fries here, so that price sounds fair. Just not enough brie. There needs to be enough cheese for every bite. I never ate burgers as a kid and am making up for it now. Good job finding it on the canal.

March 12, 2015 at 10:49 pm

• You are so right about cheese. The brie sounded like a good idea. I just love me a good burger. This place will be sweet when it warms up. Burger and fries and a Bitburger sitting canal side. Life is so good.

March 12, 2015 at 10:57 pm

2. The burger looks plenty large enough to satisfy my appetite, Benson. I’m with Kerbey, though. Yours looks a bit rare for my tastes. The brie smattering also is paltry. How dare they charge an extra buck-and-a-half for that? I’d go either American or cheddar. And stick with fries in a metal basket and slaw, too. Nice writeup.

March 15, 2015 at 1:52 pm

• . I agree that little bit of Brie for a buck and a half is plain silly. I would stick with the basic cheese suspects in the future. They are included in the price. Thanks for dropping by.

March 15, 2015 at 3:00 pm

3. There’s only one burger joint in my town that I find worthy of going to, and only with my teenage daughter in tow. The reason being, I have never seen my child (who is nearly always vegetarian because as a little kid she decided she could not eat anything that once had a face) manhandle her food with such pure animalistic pleasure. Sitting across the table from her, I see her pick up her burger and within mere moments, juice is running down her hands and arms, her mouth is smeared from ear to ear, and her eyes are closed–oblivious to the look of horror and surprise that is usually plastered on my face. I am reminded by her that finding an unbeatable burger deserves no table manners. Just unrestrained joy.
    She has also stated that this is the first place she will go on a date because if a feller can stomach the way she inhales this particular meal, he is surely marriage material.
    Can’t wait to go back. She comes home for spring break on Friday!

March 15, 2015 at 3:46 pm

• That is such a sweet story. I know of marriages that have been started on less. Thanks for dropping by and cheers to you and your daughter. I hope you guys enjoy your burger.

March 15, 2015 at 3:50 pm