Garrett’s Smokehouse Barbeque 5502 N. Emerson Way

Pat and I have tried to hit every Q joint we can find in the area. This place hasn’t been considered because it doesn’t open until 4 PM during the week. On weekends, commencing Friday they open at 11. Since this particular place had mixed reviews it intrigued me, so we changed our plans. Not really sure it was a good decision.

garretts 006

That's Pat waving at the dude taking pictures

That’s Pat waving at the dude taking pictures

The place is small and clean and has seating for about a dozen diners. They have a small menu featuring the usual fare. Ribs, pulled pork, chicken and brisket. The sides are what you would expect and the deserts are house made. My interior shots will have to suffice because I forgot to take any pictures of the food. And the saddest thing was I didn’t remember that I forgot until I got home.

garretts 007

They have a cool collection of Pig Art displayed in the corner. All of their tables are covered in red and white checkered cloth and the chairs have an old school flair with comfy seats.

garretts 008

garretts 010

Since the brisket wasn’t ready I got pulled chicken on an onion bun. The bun was pretty good and not too common around here. The portion was tremendous for $6 but it was pretty dry. I think their biggest problem is the reheat of the meat. I am not positive how they re-thermalize their product but what ever way they use I don’t think is working. A BBQ sauce should not be used to make meat moist. I think their chicken may have been done well initially however their re heat needs some work.

The greens were good but nothing superlative. The peach cobbler was outstanding. A healthy amount of fruit and a good cobbler crust. I am sorry I don’t have any pictures to show you what we ate.

So all in all it was a passable lunch for me. Like Pat were I in the area I would try the joint again. However I wouldn’t travel that far just to eat there.

After lunch Pat and I went to the Tick Tock Lounge to meet some friends and I took the opportunity to try one of their signature Bloody Mary Cocktails, featuring in house bacon infused vodka, house made Mary mix and a unique array of garnish.

garretts 009

It was delicious. Spicy with a good amount of horse radish and with all the “stuff” added it is like brunch in a glass. A pint of Bloody goodness for 10 bucks.

Garrett's Smokehouse Barbeque on Urbanspoon

1. Curse you for not taking pictures! At least we got a nice glimpse of that Bloody Mary, replete with appetizers. Surely worth the $10. I agree that sauce should not be used to make meat moist. We had brisket today and my issue is that in order to get it lean, it’s always dry. The “moist” is always riddled with fat, which I hate, but my husband loves. So I did have to sauce up my brisket. We watch them slice up the meat right in front of us, so we know it hasn’t been pre-sliced and then re-heated. Pretty cool red vinyl chairs at Garrett’s, and I like all the little piggies. I would make a terrible Orthodox Jew bc I love me some pork. Is that pig making the “okay” sign??

April 19, 2015 at 3:20 pm

• You know I have no idea what the pig is doing with his thumb and for finger. And cursed I am for not taking pictures. I mean what else do I have to do. Show up, eat and take pictures. I love me some pig too. I found an ode to the noble pig somewhere I will try to find it and send it to you. It is funny how some joints have difficulty reheating pork and chicken at a BBQ. I mean they have to know they will have left overs. Now that I don’t get.

April 19, 2015 at 3:35 pm

• Ha ha–you know how I feel!

April 19, 2015 at 5:40 pm

• Words to live by
      Any Part of Piggy By Noel Coward
      Any part of the piggy
      Is quite alright with me.
      Ham from Westphalia, ham from Parma
      Ham as lean as the Dalai Lama
      Ham from Virginia, ham from York,
      Trotters, sausages, hot roast pork.
      Crackling crisp for my teeth to grind on
      Bacon with or without the rind on
      Though humanitarian
      I’m not a vegetarian.
      I’m neither a crank nor prude nor prig
      And though it may sound infra dig
      Any part of the darling pig
      Is perfectly fine by me.

April 19, 2015 at 3:51 pm

• That’s great! Of course, I’M the Coward when it comes to trotters. It does make one realize that Dalai Lamas are never fat.

April 19, 2015 at 5:42 pm

2. Firstly, Benson, this is a Coward poem I’d never come across. I’m posting it in my kitchen. And I second your opinion, they are truly words to live (and EAT) by!
    Secondly, it was nice to see a photo of Pat. It’s always good to get a visual of the folks who are writing for you.
    The food sounded scrumptious enough, if not simply ordinary. I think as you have so many good BBQ joints around you, it’s tough to climb aboard the ‘wow factor’ train if most of the seats are already occupied. You really have to be outstanding. But there are ways, aren’t there.
    And good heavens, I think I died and went to heaven just looking at that Bloody Mary. I’d come to your neck of the woods simply to try that incredible combo. Seriously, it looks bloody gorgeous!
    Here’s to the opening of BBQ season. May it last long and be worthy.
    Cheers!

April 19, 2015 at 5:05 pm

• Well the food was pretty ordinary. I think a better test would be the brisket. Sliced brisket on an onion roll with a Bloody Mary side. Now that would be a lunch.

April 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm

3. mags86

OMGosh – that Bloody Mary! WOW! I want one right now:)

April 20, 2015 at 10:10 am

4. I relate to the photo miss, Benson. If you saw my D.C. Food entry, I forgot to take a photo of my friend I’ve known since we met as freshmen in college. As you said, what else did I have to do but eat, talk to him and take pictures of him and the joint he picked for us to meet?

Dry meat at a BarBQue joint is unforgiveable, on the other hand. The Dinosaur or the Limp Lizard, two great joints here in Syracuse, never. I’ve yet to indulge in bacon-infused liquor. That Bloody description and photo could help me change my mind. Great work there, my friend.

April 21, 2015 at 8:38 am

• That isn’t the first time I forgot to take pictures. A few times I ended up with shots of partially eaten food. Curious that you mention The Dinosaur because I think they were planning on opening one in Indy.However as far as I know things are on hold because they want to mount some artifacts on the outside of the place and the city folks say no. Whatever. I just eat and forget to take pictures.

April 21, 2015 at 8:44 am