Garden Table 908 E. Westfield Blvd.

I am not sure when Garden Table opened, there hasn’t been as much hoopla generated about it as other places. It operates as a local sourced eatery that is vegan friendly. But it is also carnivore friendly in that they offer Smoking Goose bacon. I have heard very little about it. It is across the street from 317 Burger, the place we went to a couple of weeks ago. It is a small space decorated in what I would call industrial or urban chic. Exposed duct work, chalk menus on the walls and utilitarian furniture. I though it was cute. It was crowded so I wasn’t able to take all the pictures I wanted to.

Garden Table 006

In addition to the beer and wine they also offer in-house prepared juices. I haven’t really done much research on the topic so I don’t know if the claims about them are hype or are based on reality. I probably should do my homework on the topic. The descriptions they give make them sound great.

They have a few set sandwiches and salads on their menu all in the $10 range. With the sandwich you get a choice of greens or fruit. Pat opted for a BLT Smash. That is a BLT with avocado for $10.

Garden Table 003

Garden table 008

Garden Table 005

I ordered a BMT. That is basil, mozzarella and tomato on toasted bread, served open face with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. The base price is $9. I added Smoking Goose bacon for a $3 upcharge. I decided on house greens as my side.

Garden Table 001

I thought the sandwich was nicely done. It was basically a hot Caprese on a toasted French loaf. Oh yeah it had bacon. Perfectly cooked and crisp bacon. The salad worked well with the sandwich. The different flavors of the various greens punctuated the basil and played well with the sweetness of the Basalmic and tomato. I could eat it again. I think the fruit would have worked as well. It just would have accentuated the sweet components more.

Garden Table 002

So this joint is definitely worth consideration for lunch or breakfast. They do offer breakfast as well. And don’t forget the juice.

After eating we went across the street to 317 for a beverage. There I discovered some stiff competition to Tick Tock Lounge for Bloody Mary domination.

Garden Table 007

It wasn’t as decked out as Tick Tock’s but I think it was tastier, and it was only $6. When it is run as a special they offer them for 5 bucks. You also get a choice of vodka. Absolut, Tito or Absolut Peppar.

So I must say all in all it was a most satisfying lunch outing.

Garden Table on Urbanspoon

1. Now I want some good, crisp bacon on a perfect, toasted French loaf. Yum, Benson.

April 23, 2015 at 10:51 pm

• Yum is right. I could have eaten 2.

April 23, 2015 at 10:55 pm

• That’s some good bacon, Benson!

April 23, 2015 at 11:04 pm

2. It all looks great. A bit pricey for a sandwich, but them’s the breaks, especially if it’s good quality. Interesting sliced fruit. The Bloody Mary could make a person salivate. I’d pony up $6 for that mason jar. You certainly met your pig requirement. I just ate an avocado, so I’m on board with Pat there. As the kids say now, “So much awesome!”

April 24, 2015 at 7:07 pm

• Yeah I agree 12 bucks is a bit much but buying local isn’t necessarily cheap and Smoking Goose bacon is pretty pricey. Good but pricey.

April 24, 2015 at 10:32 pm

3. Rocky Meyers

You can get that bacon at the Broad Ripple Kroger but it’s hard not to cook up the whole package at once! Yay, love that I can walk there for a tasty Bloody Mary, Benson.

April 25, 2015 at 3:34 pm

• I know that’s why I hardly buy it. If I had it I would eat it. All. Well 317 is a lot closer than Tick Tock, and their Mary is pretty tasty.

April 25, 2015 at 3:40 pm

4. Those Bloody Marys are really rockin my wishful thinking list at the moment. I’m so inspired by both places’ creativity. I’ve got to try making one of these at home for my folks on some big brunch day. One of those gorgeous drinks with all the lovely, delectable toppings and a plate of the creamiest scrambled eggs would have me in pig heaven. And also would find a pig in heaven as well I suppose, as he’d have given his little life for the added pleasure to mine.
    Thank you porcine pals.
    And the bistro that’s not quite a bistro looks and sounds like a winner. Yeah, I’d have to suck down one of those juices too. Health promises or no, they always sound like they’re about to make a miracle happen in my body. I could stomach being lied to once or twice if it tasted worthy.
    Cheers, Benson!

April 26, 2015 at 4:43 pm

• If something tastes good I always tell myself that it is good for me. As far as pigs go they all go to Heaven.

April 26, 2015 at 6:13 pm