Barbecue and Bourbon 1414 W. Main St. Speedway In.

bourbon & BBQ 002

bourbon & BBQ 004

Yep here we are. Speedway in May. There is just something special about the month of May in Speedway. Granted it is not the month-long spectacle it once was, but it is still a fun time. I would guess Barbecue and Bourbon has only been open for a couple of years, but as you can see from their sign they know how to make you feel welcome.

They don’t have a real big menu but they have all the essentials needed for a BBQ joint, done on their smoker out back. The first thing we ordered was mushrooms for $5.99.

bourbon & BBQ 011

These were quite tasty. Nice firm mushrooms with a slight coating that stayed in place went you bit into them. Some places just toss them into a pile of breading and hope for the best. These guys do it right.

bourbon & BBQ 013

All of their dinners come with 2 sides, ala carte they cost $1.99. Pat ordered a pulled pork sandwich for $6.79 and a side of fried cabbage. I got sliced brisket and mac and cheese. The brisket sandwich will cost you $7.99.

bourbon & BBQ 016

bourbon & BBQ 001

bourbon & BBQ 023

bourbon & BBQ 007

Way back there in the distance you can see the stands that Pat referenced. Not a great view but that sound is hard not to notice.

bourbon & BBQ 016

My brisket sandwich was nicely done. The meat was moist and tender, lean and tasty.I didn’t detect a lot of smoke but that’s all right it was still a good sandwich and the toasty bun was great. The mac and cheese was better than your average BBQ place. I can only think of one maybe two places that do it better. But it is a side dish after all and it complemented the beef well.

bourbon & BBQ 019

It was a beautiful day so we ate outside. However we decided to go in side for our adult beverage.

bourbon & BBQ 027

bourbon & BBQ 029

It is a compact little joint with a compact little bar. However compact or not they have one of the best, if not the best, collection of Bourbons around. Pat had a light beer for $3.75. Me, being the bargain hunter that I am got a Long Island Ice Tea for $2.50. Now I can not remember the last time I had one of those. No matter how dim my memory is I think that this was an out standing cocktail.

So we had good Q and good drinks, all reasonably priced. So the track isn’t the only reason to head to Speedway. Remember. Don’t go Bacon my Heart.

Oops. I put up the wrong pic for Pat’s pulled pork.

bourbon & BBQ 021

Here it is.

Barbecue and Bourbon on Urbanspoon

1. I was hoping you’d say you got the LIIT. Only $2.50 for tequila, vodka, light rum, triple sec, and gin, how can you go wrong? I used to drink those in 1997, when the bartender made them for free. What a treat–tasty fried mushrooms, good sandwich, nice day outside. Sounds like they didn’t go bacon your heart. P.S., do you like mac n cheese with a little crust on top or just purely slick?

May 7, 2015 at 5:18 pm

• Oh I love the crust. I usually mix Japanese bread crumbs with a bit of unsalted butter to top mac & cheese before I put it in the oven Good stuff. Well I surely enjoyed my Iced Tea. I had forgotten how good, and dangerous they are. There is a brewery opening up right down the street from this joint. So that little town is growing. Have you ever heard that bacon phrase before? I thought it was great.

May 7, 2015 at 5:31 pm

• No, I hadn’t. It reminded me of Elton John.

May 7, 2015 at 6:01 pm

• Gee. I didn’t know Sir John was a fan of bacon.

May 7, 2015 at 6:04 pm

• Okay, I am not saying any bratwurst jokes that are coming to mind. You know I mean the song with Kiki Dee.

May 7, 2015 at 6:18 pm

• I know. I just couldn’t resist. I did refrain from any ill advised remarks.

May 7, 2015 at 6:26 pm

• Oh, you know what else? That was the second time I’ve heard of fried cabbage in a week. There was a special with Lisa Ling re: obesity in Mississippi, and they were cooking soul food and the woman said she didn’t realize frying up cabbage could take any nutrients out.

May 7, 2015 at 6:31 pm

• I think most green leafy things lose nutrients when they are heated. But with some I consider it a trade off. Lose some nutrients gain some flavor.

May 7, 2015 at 6:34 pm

• Well, you don’t weigh 347 like that 6th grader did, either, I imagine. So live it up!

May 7, 2015 at 6:39 pm

• No I don’t and I have no plans on getting close. That is why I joined a gym.

May 7, 2015 at 6:41 pm

2. You didn’t order the open-wheeled sandwich? Sorry, Benson, I had to try some Indy Car humor on you. All that food looks good for a great price. Welcome back Pat! Now I like my mac ‘n’ cheese non-breaded, Kerbey. Slick, as you put it. Just sayin’. That price for a Long Island Ied Tea is incredible! That is one wicked mixed drink. Looks innocent, tastes innocent, knocks you down like a heavyweight boxer.

May 7, 2015 at 9:57 pm

• Pretty good race joke. You are so right about those drinks. I thought it interesting that it was cheaper than Pat’s beer. Why drink Lite when you can have one of those?

May 7, 2015 at 10:06 pm

3. Well, yesterday I nearly had my first BBQ meal of the season, but as I was with my mom and giving her the choice of lunches, she opted out of the yearly Mother’s Day arts and craft weekend and barbeque fest and chose a swank little Italian wine bar. All I could think about while having my Tuscan chopped salad was, “Benson is probably having a brilliant BBQ right now and washing it all down with a red liquid meal to boot.” I tried not to allow my morose sadness show up on my face, but as my dining out days are only about once every other month, I’m sure some of it slipped through.
    So it’s back to living vicariously through your posts and pictures for a while. And I’m damn glad you do such a bang up job of it. If I can’t have it, at least let me look at it.
    A big bowl of bacon: the best low carb, gluten free salad you can find.
    Cheers!

May 10, 2015 at 12:27 pm

• I am so glad I am able to help out. No BBQ? Lord lady you are indeed strong. Well at least eat some more bacon.

May 10, 2015 at 12:40 pm