Ike & Jonesy’s 17 Jackson Square

I never would have thought of Ike & Jonesy’s for lunch until Pat suggested it. Back in the day; as they say; this was a night club. It opened in ’80 or ’81 right on the periphery of the old Union Station,the train station that was revitalized to be a destination for the party goers of Indy. Ike & Jonesy’s was probably the hottest. Out in front over the front door they have a cut out of the iconic pose of Marilyn Monroe with dress all a flutter. You know the one. Over the subway in “Seven Year Itch”. It’s still there as is the general nostalgic motif. From the wall art to the use of old pin ball machines as table tops at the booths.

ike and jonesy's 010

This greets you as soon as you walk in. Say hello to Ms. Monroe.

ike and jonesy's 009

I have no idea what this is. I guess it is supposed to be a take off on Marilyn. It can be a bit scary, but it is striking.

The menu is very typical bar or tavern fare. Their execution is better than most. To me their lunch specials are the big draw at lunch time. From roasted pork, prime rib sandwiches to fried chicken all in the 6 to 8 dollar range they seem to have a knack for a business man’s lunch.

Their special this day was a fried chicken breast, mashed potatoes and gravy with coleslaw and cornbread for $7.95. The lighting over the booths cast a red hue over the tables. It wasn’t that noticeable to me,but it shows up in the pictures.

ike and jonesy's 006

I thought the special was very special. A nice breast fried crisp with a tasty breading. The mashed were probably not house made, as well as the gravy but they both were nicely done. The coleslaw was really terrific, slightly tossed with a creamy dressing. The corn bread came from a mix and wasn’t anything spectacular but it was fluffy and came with real butter. It was a really nice lunch;especially for the money.

On the menu they offer a group of sandwiches utilizing strip steak. All variations on the theme of a Philly, all for $8.95. Pat opted for their Indy. He had his with only steak and mushrooms, leaving off the onion and cheese.

ike and jonesy's 007

Ike and Jonesy's

Oh the Dick and Spiro that Pat is talking about are Nixon and Agnew. On the back wall they have a bit of memorabilia from that era. I don’t think they have changed much of the interior design since 1980. I am not too sure though. The times I was there back then I wasn’t that attentive to the decor. They also have a small reasonably priced dinner menu featuring steaks and chicken. So Ike and Jonesy’s. It’s not just for parties any more.

Ike & Jonesy's on Urbanspoon

1. I bet I haven’t been there in 20 years. It’s still a landmark tho, isn’t it? Everyone knows Ike & Jonesy’s!

May 16, 2015 at 12:53 pm

• You have been to Ike & Jonesy’s? Are you a Hoosier? That does explain a few things. I am glad you like stopped by. Thanks

May 16, 2015 at 12:59 pm

• I am Indianapolis born and lived here most of my life 🙂
        I’ve also lived in the outskirts, went to school at Ball State, and lived in Georgia for 7 years, but yes, I am a Hoosier!

May 16, 2015 at 1:00 pm

• Well butter my butt and call me bread. Where did you go to high school?

May 16, 2015 at 1:02 pm

• Lawrence Central

May 16, 2015 at 3:33 pm

• Well imagine that. I am so glad you dropped by.

May 16, 2015 at 3:37 pm

• Me too, Mark Bialczak referred me

May 16, 2015 at 3:38 pm

• Well Mark is a great young fella. Even though he did go to Maryland. Have you checked out Kerby’s joint. “I don’t get it”?

May 16, 2015 at 3:49 pm

• No? I don’t even know what that is?

May 16, 2015 at 4:01 pm

• She is a rapscallion blogger from Texas. Her blog is how I met Mark.

May 16, 2015 at 4:02 pm

• Oh, no, do you have a link?

May 16, 2015 at 4:18 pm

• Well try this

May 16, 2015 at 4:32 pm

2. Okay, for one quick panicky second, I had to do a double take as I thought that the manikin Marilyn might have been Pat with a wig. A true relief that’s not how you decided to highlight your lunch buddy.
    The place sounds like it has seen a lot of folks and you get the feel it’s a ‘if these walls could talk’ kind of a joint. I like a place with a little history.
    Now why would a restaurant have their mashed spuds made elsewhere? And what was it about the cornbread that gave away the ‘comes from a mix’ diagnosis?
    Everything sounded appetizing enough–especially the fried chicken.
    There is a place here in Central Virginia that truly makes THE best fried chicken I have ever tasted. I save up all year long to go there in the summer with my kids–not because it’s expensive, although, it is expensive ($18 for lunch), but I save up a year’s supply of splurging calories. I think I could go through about three or four birds all on my own. Yes, it’s that unbelievably delicious.
    I refuse to even look at the signs for the place for the rest of the year, but it haunts my dreams for months, Benson.
    🙂

May 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm

• Oh my. Pat in drag. Now that is not a visual I want to keep. You’re right these walls probably do have a tale to tell,and I bet it ain’t PG. What I meant by the potato comment was the mashed were more than likely of the instant variety as was the gravy. As for the cornbread the crumb as well as the taste led me to believe it too was from a mix. Oh yeah fried chicken is indeed a wonder. I really try not to eat it too often my self. But sometimes you just need some fried food. I would love some of that fried chicken. I guess delivery is out.

May 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm

• Double so in that the entire restaurant dresses in colonial period costuming, so i’m guessing their means of transport would be horseback or on foot. It might have lost some of its appeal by the time it reached your front porch, Benson.

May 18, 2015 at 5:27 pm

3. Now why would Pat not want cheese on his cheesesteak? I bet I know. That Marilyn mannequin threw him off his game. I knew he didn’t like onions, but cheese? The fries remind me of frozen Ore-Ida. Do you think they made them all crinkly like that? $7.95 is a good deal for a big chunk of meat and good cole slaw. I wonder why he’s called Jonesy instead of just Jones?

May 18, 2015 at 5:43 pm

• From what I know Jonesy is the wife to Ike. If you look at the web site you see all that info. To me that is “Ho hum”. I really dig folks that start their own joint with a dream; or at least an idea. Of course when I went there with friends and wife # 1 I wasn’t concerned with any thing but song and dance. Me bad.

May 18, 2015 at 6:50 pm