Tokyo Buffet 8810 S. Emerson Av.

tokyo 083

Looks pretty mundane doesn’t it. After all it sits in the middle of a sprawling strip mall. Surrounded by  a bunch more. Don’t let its appearance fool you. There is a nice little buffet behind those doors. One with an amazing array of Chinese food. It even has freshly prepared sushi. All for $6.95 at lunch and $9.95 for dinner.

tokyo 097

This is the first hot line, with about every Chinese tidbit you would want.

Pat and I were shameless in our gluttony. The Chinese food was very well prepared and everything stayed crisp and hot. They never overloaded any one item, relying on frequent restocking to keep the table intact.

tokyo 093

The sushi was nicely done as well. The selection of rolls were rather average, as they bring out the “fancy” rolls at dinner. However they were very tasty. Of course the use of rice and nori was abundant. I don’t think you can expect yellow tail or salmon for 6 bucks.

tokyo 091

tokyo 102

tokyo 094

This is the second hot line. Pork and chicken were well represented as well as various veggies, in the form of egg rolls, pot stickers and General Tso’s contribution. I would guess they had more than 30 different items on the steam tables. Plus the sushi and deserts and salads. They even had calamari rings and surimi wrapped in bacon.

tokyo 095

This is the salad station. It also had fresh melon and puddings. They even had ice cream in a little freezer. Of course I didn’t see that until we were leaving.

tokyo 096

This was the desert station. Little petits fours and cookies and macaroons. I know none of these were house made, but they were really pretty tasty. The ones with sprinkles were flavored with coffee.

This was one of the better buffets I have eaten at. The marrying of skillfull cooking and ready made items made it a very memorable lunch. I honestly think it’s phenomenal that it is only $6.95.

#1 Tokyo Buffet on Urbanspoon

1. I do not eat at buffets.
    I did eat at The New Orleans House, but it is no longer.
    Also I looooove sushi!

May 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm

• No buffets? That;s a shame. I could probably eat sushi for every meal.

May 28, 2015 at 10:35 pm

2. Firstlly, Benson, it seems like you fellas found a hidden gold mine. Although I’m really hopeful that a slew of others have found this pearl–as it appears the owners and employees work hard to offer up some marvelously prepared food, I hope it has enough customers to support the available bounty, but still allow you to find a table when you have a hankerin’.
    Secondly, I am finally writing to you with a belly full of BBQ. I am in pig heaven–well, I suppose it’s more accurate to say that some pig went to heaven in order to appease my appetite. Summer has officialy begun. I was really starting to feel behind there for a while. Now if you can only find Pat some phenomenal sushi …

May 31, 2015 at 4:56 pm

• I am so glad you have some BBQ in your belly. Frankly I was surprised Pat even tried a bite. I am sure there is a roll out there he would like. Getting him to try it is a different matter.

June 1, 2015 at 6:45 am

3. Seven bucks is a steal! So much to choose from. At that price, even mediocre food is fine. And all the better if it’s better “than the State Fair.”

June 1, 2015 at 1:42 pm

• Better than the State Fair is High Praise indeed.

June 1, 2015 at 1:44 pm

• If the beef isn’t tough, and the broccoli isn’t flaccid, we have a winner.

June 1, 2015 at 1:45 pm

• What a sage piece of advice.

June 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm