St. Joseph Brewery & Public House 540 N. College Ave.

st joe 020

This was actually a church from 1880 to 1949. It was owned by the Diocese from then until it was sold to private concerns in the 1990’s. Nothing was done with it until a group bought it to turn into a brewery. This same group owns a couple of other joints in town. Chatham Tap and Ralston Draft House. Now both of these places are solid. I like them both. However I gotta’ say this. Considering the magnitude of this project they might wanna’ kick it up a notch. So let’s go in

st joe 007

st joe 022

When you first walk in you are simply amazed at the size of the place. Wood floors. Wooden pews and foot worn stairs leading up to the balcony for the choir. Wood and windows gives it bright and warm atmosphere. I spent a half hour just looking at stuff.

st joe 008

st joe 011

All of these last shots were taken from the loft. They also have seating up there. Pat and I decided to set downstairs. I  ordered a flight of 4 beers. I picked two and Pat picked two

st joe 013

The flight was $7. That is pretty typical.

st joe 002

Pat chose his lunch from the small plates or appetizer section of the menu.

st joe 014

Pat was right. His small plate was $8.50. Small sweet tater tots, a few scraps of bacon and a bit of shredded cheese. They were pretty good, but they were pretty pricey.

I thought the menu was spot on. Of course, as always it depends on the execution. All of their sandwiches come with a choice of fries, pickled veggies, slaw or fruit. I decided on their burger. Named after the chef/partner.

Reifen Burger

Smoked cheddar, pork belly, red onion & Beer B-Q sauce

Sounds tasty, doesn’t it. Well it wasn’t what I thought it would be. There was no bacon,pork belly. As it was explained to me the pork belly was incorporated into the patty, like a frikadellen. That is nice but it should have been written that way. I ordered my burger mid rare. It came out medium. Which is as it should be if there is pig in the mix. Tell people please. Also the smoked cheddar was shredded cheddar. Sorry I do not get it. Shredded cheese is good for a quesadilla. Not a burger.

The BBQ sauce was pretty good. The fries were ho-hum. And I really think a $12.50 price tag was a bit much.

st joe 016

The bun was really good. Crisp and toasty.

st joe 017

I did like their choice of greens. So I am not too concerned about this joint. They have experience. They have skill. I am just miffed that my burger wasn’t what I thought it would be. Of course your IPA was pretty good. So I know you will get it together. Just a matter of time. Just do it the way you say you will do it.

Click to add a blog post for St. Joseph Brewery & Public House on Zomato

1. I wouldn’t like that, either. When I read pork belly, I thought, “What? Like fried in rendered lard?” No. And no to shredded cheese on my burger. Might go there to drink and nosh sometime, but probably not for lunch or dinner.

June 4, 2015 at 6:30 pm

• When I read pork bell the first thing I thought of was bacon. Since that is the part of the piggie bacon is made from. Never guessed it was a component of the patty itself. I just had my mouth set on bacon. As for the cheese. Heavens no. This place is a treat for the eyes that is for sure.

June 5, 2015 at 4:49 am

2. Another example of why it’s so important to communicative effectively. Makes you wonder if they do it on purpose. I find that nearly each time we eat out (several x a wk), the bill is wrong, and they always act so innocent. Too much of a coincidence, though. I wouldn’t chance that if I were a server in a church, though, LOL. Neat idea. Good way to keep the building useful. Just take down the unholy prices!

June 5, 2015 at 11:21 am

• Amen. The mix up on the meat was clearly due to sloppy writing. The cheese was goof was just stupid. Or lazy. You know I felt odd walking through those big double doors and seeing huge gleaming beer vats. But as you say it keeps it kept up.

June 5, 2015 at 11:32 am

3. Seeing as though a burger comes across my plate maybe once every five or six months, I build up the event like I’ll be eating the holy grail. If it fails to deliver, I practically lose faith in the whole food industry itself.
    My kids were trying to get me to go to a new burger joint in town where kitsch is all the rage. BBQ potato chips and macaroni and cheese on top of one burger, deep fried cheese and sauerkraut on another. I declined. But their favorite bit is the deep fried Oreo served at the end of the meal in a Chinese takeout box. No thanks

I’m happy to hear the beer was up to snuff. Maybe they should serve it in a chalice?
    I think a plate of those sweet potato puffs and a beautiful ale would be a splendid splurge. Hope you’ll revisit and see some of what else is on offer.

June 7, 2015 at 10:13 pm

• Oh I’ll be back. They have a few items that seem to be worth a shot. Normally I avoid those “kitchen sink” burgers like an ex wife,but I am trying to become more main stream.

June 8, 2015 at 12:29 am

• That’s a great line, Benson. Avoid them like an ex-wife. Brilliant.

June 14, 2015 at 12:21 pm