Penn & Palate 28 East 16th Street

I believe this place opened just a few weeks ago. It is owned by the same folks that have Legends in Irvington, so I was confident that it would be pretty good. Since Pat is out in Cali for the next two weeks I was all by myself. I had planned on visiting this place at a later date and was actually on my way to a different joint when I decided to stop at the last-minute.

The place is nicely appointed with dark woods, leather seats and cozy booths. The large windows make for a very bright setting as well.penn and palette 012

penn and palette 009

I was also quite impressed with the level of service. My server Katie was spot on. She was very knowledgable of the menu and not shy of venturing an opinion when asked. As a matter of fact it was her description of their special appetizer of the day that convinced me that I needed it. Normally I don’t get an app for lunch when I am solo. In this case the app was an arancia, a deep-fried polenta (oops, that should be risotto) ball, for $8.

penn and palette 014

I thought they were nicely done and with the creamy cheese sauce proved a tasty combo of flavors and textures.

penn and palette 015

For my main dish I opted for a shaved ham and Swiss sandwich. I know that sounds pretty mundane but it was hardly your standard diner fare. It featured Smoking Goose City Ham, a dry cured ham and orange marmalade with a fennel and apple slaw. They offer a choice of bread from Amelia so with Katie’s recommendation I went with semolina.

penn and palette 017

The bread was a good choice. Dense and herbaceous enough to balance the other strong tastes. The structure of the sandwich was really very delicate and nicely balanced. A hint of orange and apple, a passing note of mustard and the strong presence of ham. And of course the cheese just sort of hanging out to keep the ham company. A really good sandwich for $10. I may have wanted a more prominent presence of fennel but this was probably for the best. You know that meme about moderation.

penn and palette 018

I noticed on their beer tap they offer a brew called Diesel Oil. It is a Stout from Columbus Indiana and Powerhouse Brewing Company. Well I thought a good Stout would make for a nice desert. Well it does, especially when paired with a Chewy Fruitmeal Cookie.

penn and palette 020

They make about a half-dozen cookies and their Fruitmeal is an Oatmeal cookie loaded with dried fruit. It was an excellent bite for a buck. Now marry that with a Milk Stout and its touch of chocolate and coffee and you are on to something really nice.

penn and palette 021

So this is Penn and Palate. So lets recap. Conveniently located in a newly gentrified locale on the near North Side. A swank and charming interior. Well trained staff. And finally an excellent menu that is well prepared and delicious. I think that this is the start of a beautiful friendship with this joint and this City.

Click to add a blog post for Penn & Palate on Zomato

1. OH YUM! That looks divine! All of it! Omagoodness on the fried polenta! 😛 Definitely a place we’ll try when the kids are back in school!

June 18, 2015 at 2:39 pm

• You most definitely should. They have a menu on their website. I want the short ribs next.

June 18, 2015 at 2:48 pm

• Right on

June 18, 2015 at 2:49 pm

2. That’s the kind of bread that makes me happy: full of little seeds. What a neat presentation with those apple slices. Stout and cookie look like a perfect match. Maybe one more stout. And then one more cookie. 🙂

June 18, 2015 at 3:20 pm

• Right on. I almost ordered one more stout but then I would want to try a different cookie and then… Well you can guess the rest. Moderation is my new mantra. At least for today.

June 18, 2015 at 3:23 pm

3. Man, I think I need to expand my ham, American and spicy brown mustard on rye horizon after eyeing your grand sandwich, Benson. Nice! I’ve never had polenta balls, either. I’m feeling like a boring upstate New Yorker tonight! Plus add in that I don’t like stout and I can’t eat cookies … Dagnabbit!

June 18, 2015 at 11:37 pm

• It was indeed a grand sandwich. I just realized a glaring error in my original text. Fried polenta would be hush puppies. What I ate was fried risotto balls,arancia. That is what was described to me, that was what I was served and that is what I ate. Don’t know what I was thinking. Well I gotta change that. I am not a big stout drinker but every once in a while. Shame about the cookies. And I don’t think anyone would consider you boring.

June 19, 2015 at 4:56 am

• Hush puppies I’ve had, Benson. I never realized they were made of polenta! Fried risotto I will try because of your photo and description. Thanks, my friend.

June 19, 2015 at 6:59 am

• Some snobs will say that polenta is special but it’s all basically corn meal

June 19, 2015 at 7:09 am

• Oh, the nuances of which I can learn from reading your posts and comments, my friend.

June 19, 2015 at 7:14 am

• Cool

June 19, 2015 at 7:20 am

4. What a spread of droolingly delectable fare! Oh, the arancini’s looked divine, the sandwich showed inventiveness–ham, marmalade and slaw? That’s crunch, savory, salty and sweet all smushed together into a bite of heaven.
    And the finisher looked exactly like what I’d crave on a rainy, fall day just before I wanted a toasty snooze in front of a fire. Perfect indulgence.
    Really wish I could hop on my bike and find this treasure down the street.
    I wish you many happy meals here, Benson.

June 21, 2015 at 1:04 pm

• Thank you. I am truly living the dream.

June 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm