Mass Ave Wine 878 Mass. Ave.

This going to be different from our other posts. Usually this blog considers the food first. The places we review lead with their food. All bars or taverns have alcohol, so they need something to set them apart from the rest. The staff and the atmosphere can do it, but staff leaves and ambiance is ever-changing, so a solid hook with the menu is sure to help. Now this is why this post is unique for us. It is all about the joint.

I have been here before to have a glass or buy a bottle. They have a whole wall of wine with every bottle selling for $15 or less. Their glasses go for $6 and flights of wine and port sell for $7. They even offer cocktails. And to set them apart from others they have a menu of sandwiches, salads and meat and cheese platters. What I find compelling about this place is the location. It is right in the middle of Mimi Meatballs ( a joint already reviewed) and Best Chocolates in Town. an artisan candy shop. Now what more could you possibly want?

I am not saying that their food is amazing. I am saying that it is a comfortable place to sip wine and just relax. I ate there today for the first time. Their meat and cheese are not locally sourced but they are more than just good. I ordered a St Andres Triple Cream Brie and some Genoa Salami.

mass ave wine shop 222

I really enjoy Brie. This triple was really pretty good. I would have preferred it riper and more runny but, still a nice nosh. The Salami was decent. It gave a pretty good bite to balance the creamy cheese. surprisingly the crackers were pretty good as well. A nice crack and they held up to the cheese. They were Nabisco. What can I say. When I ordered my food I told the kid ( sorry, no disrespect but he was 21;and a half) to pick the wine. Be it red or be it white would be fine with me. Then I went next door to get some chocolate.

mass ave wine shop 224

I know the picture is not too good. I am still trying to learn about this camera.

My server, who has a slight inclination towards red thought I needed a Spanish red. Well I think it worked out pretty well.

mass ave wine shop 220

Since I have an affinity for bubbles I had to have a couple of glasses of Proseco as desert with the chocolate, after all it was raining. And I had to wait it out since,as per usual I took a bus. I always do when I go downtown; and especially when I plan on having a few glasses of wine.

So I enjoy this little place on Mass Ave. I think you will too.

Click to add a blog post for Mass Ave Wine on Zomato

1. Some days you don’t need a culinary revelation; “a comfortable place to sip wine and just relax” is just the ticket. Even if it’s Nabisco. I didn’t realize rain demanded Prosecco. I’ve been doing it wrong.

June 26, 2015 at 7:07 pm

• Oops. I just now saw your comment. I usually find out about any comments on the top bar on my homepage. This time I found this by accident while browsing. Well. Ahem. No Prosecco isn’t mandatory it is just that the bubbly wine is so comforting. I hope you get the reply. There was another comment in July sometime. That was a smiley face. To that all I can say is: Shucks

July 31, 2015 at 11:07 am

• We can’t possibly stay on top of everything 100% of the time. No worries.

July 31, 2015 at 12:11 pm

• Well I am glad that others can see it. It fit my reason for liking this joint to a T.

July 31, 2015 at 12:13 pm

2. Yup, love Mass Ave everything! Prosecco and chocolate truffles sound lovely, and it’s only 7am! šŸ™‚
    Of course, I’m pouting a little bit since I accidentally bought Merlot when I wanted Malbec. Brain not so on, apparently. Bit of a shock to the tastebuds! lol

June 27, 2015 at 7:04 am

• Chocolate and anything sounds wonderful. My trip to the wine shop was going to be a prelude to something but the rain made it into a final destination. I know that similarity in names confuses me as well. Have you been to So Bro liquors on 52th street? Have some good deals on beer and wine.

June 27, 2015 at 7:11 am

• I haven’t. I’m a fan of Kahn’s and Big Red. Never heard of So Bro. 52nd and what, do you know?

June 27, 2015 at 7:14 am

• 1721 E 52nd St
        Indianapolis, IN 46205 They used to be called A1.I have been shopping there for years. I turned Pat on to it and he’s a fan as well. Check it out. They only take cash.

June 27, 2015 at 7:19 am

3. I want to be buried with a large vat of St Andres triple cream brie. And on a hot day too. Oh my godfathers do I love that cheese. Seriously, if I had my way, and Wallyworld could make a size large enough, I’d just engulf myself in that miracle food for days on end.
    Okay, and then yes, chocolate too.
    I love a good wine bar – and the price sounds sooo attractive. Having worked in the wine industry, I am fully aware of how perception is reality. If it’s expensive, it’s got to be good, right? Ha!
    Sounds like a winner, Benson. And I like the “let’s try something new” variety you’ve thrown in for our reading pleasure.
    Cheers!

June 28, 2015 at 12:27 pm

• Why thank you. I must confess that this was intended to be a prelude to a lunch of buckwheat crepes at another joint. You know chocolate, wine and cheese and then buckwheat flour crepes with ham and eggs and more cheese,and maybe more wine. However since I was on foot the rain pinned me down;so to speak. I do like this little joint. Unpretentious and welcoming. Especially on a rainy day. Like a big ol’ hug.

June 28, 2015 at 12:45 pm