Mama Irma 1058 Virginia Ave.

Peru has a reputation of being the greatest cauldron of fusion cooking, much more than the rest of Ibero-America. Italian, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese culture all lent a hand with the food of Peru. This place has been around for a while but it took us a while to get to it.

mama irma 11

It is a nice little cafe,seating about 30. The menu is a nice size and appears to represent Peruvian cuisine. However, before I get into the food I must comment on the cook/owner’s attitude about special requests. As most readers know Pat is allergic to onions. When Pat asked our server the best way to avoid onion,we were informed that the cook/owner becomes “offended” when people request changes in her menu. When we asked about the specials the server went back to the kitchen to ask. The cook came out and asked who had the allergy;with an eye roll; and proceeded to suggest the side dishes. She could have offered suggestions,she chose not to.

mama irma 7

mama irma 1

I tried a glass of Chicha Morada for $3.50. That is water steeped with blue corn,pineapple skin and brown sugar. It was pretty tasty,but pricey.

mama irma 10

For my lunch,since I am virtually food allergy free, I ordered Aji De Gallina for $9.25. That is shredded chicken in a creamy walnut parmesan sauce and rice. It was a very good dish. The rice was stand alone good and the chicken and sauce was an added bonus. I would eat that dish again. Just somewhere else.

mama irma 9

So I think the food was nicely prepared. I just think that they should cut out the attitude. You don’t have to cater to every whim of the diners just meet them in the middle.

Click to add a blog post for Mama Irma Peruvian on Zomato

1. Wow. I got all excited, thinking about new & interesting foods, but I don’t like that attitude. I get offended when people put barbecue sauce on my perfectly seasoned meat, too, but that’s my problem, not theirs.

August 19, 2015 at 6:29 pm

• Well this lady sure did have a ‘tude. The first rule of cooking for the public is don’t take it personally if folks don’t like your food as much as you do.

August 20, 2015 at 10:11 am

• Seems like good hygiene should be the first rule, but yeah, I’m with ya!

August 20, 2015 at 10:27 am

• Health Codes are mandatory so I consider hygiene understood,but I get you.

August 20, 2015 at 10:49 am

2. You’re right. If it’s an allergy, not just being picky, then restaurants have to learn to be flexible. My cousin’s daughter has a peanut allergy that can prove fatal, and she can’t even be in a room with peanut products. I would be sad if I were allergic to onions, though. I DO love fried plantains! So yummy! We had some at a Caribbean restaurant earlier this month, but only four came with the meal, and I could have eaten a dozen. This is something of which I’ve never heard: creamy walnut parmesan sauce. I doubt you’ll find it somewhere else, but here’s to hoping!

August 19, 2015 at 6:32 pm

• There is another Peruvian restaurant in town,just not in as trendy a spot as Fountain Square. Also there is a Mexican joint that has a dish similar to it. May prove interesting to compare the different recipes. You are right on about the allergy bit. I have little patience for finicky eaters but if something can make you sick or dead that is a whole different thing.

August 20, 2015 at 10:05 am

3. Restaurant owners should have 100 percent tolerance for allergy sufferers, I’d say, Benson. The first dead customer on the floor from a swollen throat who went on and ate the onions anyway because no alternate main course was suggested might cure the cook of the ‘tude, right? Or close ’em down altogether. Yeesh. Poor Pat getting stuck merely with a side dish of Peruvian banana doppelgangers.

I’d also say they should be more accepting of any requests for any reason. Some people like food to fit their own tates only. If somebody with a less adventurous palate is still willing to spend their money at your restaurant, you’re going to throw an artiste pout at them? Dope.

August 25, 2015 at 2:43 pm

• Right on. I hesitated even saying anything because Pat was so mellow about it. But to me the whole purpose of bistro is to tell folks what we think of a joint and that includes the service as well as the food. If she had not done the eye roll I probably not said a word.

August 25, 2015 at 2:53 pm

• The eye roll surely took it over the top, Benson. I agree.

August 25, 2015 at 4:30 pm