Moon Dog Tavern 4825 E 96th Street

Well we wanted to go to a tavern; a bar; a place what sells alcohol in various form and serves food as well.The trouble is most bars in Indy are pretty much the same. There are a few that bring a little something different to the table but we have already hit most of them. In order to find a place that has something unique to offer we rely on word of mouth or the inter net. If folks don’t offer us suggestions or if joints aren’t willing to use electronic media we are pretty much out of luck. This time we got lucky,via free media. I have noticed Moon Dog before but nothing about it sparked my interest. Then I noticed that it was under new ownership and management;and they had changed their menu in July this year. When I looked at the menu I saw a reference to a smoker,that is always a good sign. So off to the Moon Dog we went.

moon dog 244

This is their smoker. They have it out back,secured and ready to go.

moon dog 242They offer three items from the smoker. Pulled pork butt,sliced brisket and meatloaf sandwich. I was leaning toward the brisket but Pat nudged me toward the meatloaf. He knows how I like meatloaf. I hesitated until our bartender told me that they cook it totally on the smoker. They also used the same meat blend for the meatloaf as they use for the burgers. A custom blend of Sirloin, Tenderloin and Ribeye from Kincaid Meat Market on Illinois St. After that no further discussion was needed.

moon dog 245

It was an excellent sandwich. The meatloaf was moist and succulent and the smoker dude did an excellent job cooking it on the smoker. A beautiful smoke ring, a wonderful aroma of smoke and a delicious texture of good meat cooked just to the point of perfection. And bonus, they offer star tots. I am sure I have covered this before but there is just something about tots.

moon dog 246

moon dog 003

moon dog 002

moon dog 247

Funny story. When I was perusing their menu a few of the items and words reminded me of the Sinking Ship. Evidently Pat as well. I was going to ask our bartender but I forgot. Well, don’t you know while we were eating ,the bartender mentioned to another patron that the new owner had another joint in Broad Ripple. As one voice:” Sinking Ship “erupted from all 3 of us. Thankfully it was still early so the shock was minimal. So if  you want to grub on some Seitan wings and don’t want to drive to 49th Street trust the Moon Dog. If you are a carnivore these guys can take care of you as well.

Click to add a blog post for Moon Dog Tavern on Zomato

1. I eat a burger maybe 6-8 times a year. I definitely prefer the mixture of sirloin etc. My fave is actually at a place in Florida, but you know, Moon Dog is closer 😉
    I love tater tots. Even frozen bags of tater tots are tasty to me.

Annnnnnd nooowww I want some. Or some hashbrowns. Dang.

September 2, 2015 at 5:22 pm

• Well a few joints have a similar combo of beef. When you do have a burger what temp do you order? Also they offer seitan as an option. I don’t get it but…

September 2, 2015 at 5:31 pm

• If I’m in a place I trust, I’ll order a medium burger. I don’t do fake burgers. Like, I enjoy a black bean burger now and again, but that’s a whole other thing. When I want a burger, I want a real burger. I don’t want something pretending to be a real burger.
        Fake chicken on the other hand, well, fake chicken tastes just fine to me.

September 2, 2015 at 6:25 pm

• I don’t get it. What is a fake burger? What is
        fake chicken? To me a black bean burger is a fake burger. What do you mean by a “place you trust”?

September 2, 2015 at 6:40 pm

• There’s a company called Morningstar that makes a buncha different frozen veggie/soy foods; sausages, burgers, chicken patties, nuggets — We love the fake chicken. It’s delicious. We do not like the veggie burgers.
        Like, a black bean burger is delicious. I make a great black bean burger with avocado, cilantro, and some sliced jalapenos. But it’s not a hamburger. It doesn’t taste like a hamburger. It’s good on its own. But I don’t like when other foods pretend to be beef. They’re always weird tasting. When I want a burger, I want a real burger, not something that looks similar and tastes not like a burger.If I want a cheeseburger, I want it to be made of cow.
        You with me?

September 2, 2015 at 7:16 pm

• Yes I am with you…sort of. I am familiar with Morningstar. But meat be meat. I have eaten Smart dogs before but so what. They ain’t cow. I do not get it.

September 2, 2015 at 8:12 pm

2. If it’s a place that makes specialty burgers, serves tartare, really knows their meat, I’ll order medium. If I’m at some franchise place, it’s gotta be well done.

September 2, 2015 at 7:18 pm

3. Sounds damn good to me. Moon Dog was the name of my aunt and uncle’s mutt who had no rules or fencelines and in that freedom, proceeded to inseminate the neighborhood dogs and make little Moon Dogs. But I digress. Sinking Ship is perhaps not the best name for a restaurant. I agree with you on tater tots. I’ve even been known to stomach Sonic ones and then regret it later, as the fast food headache sets in.

September 2, 2015 at 7:24 pm

• Well you’re right. Sinking Ship is not a cool name for a restaurant. It is a bar. No matter. What was the breed of your Auntie’s dog? No matter. I think you would really dig the meatloaf. Smoked meat and IPA.

September 2, 2015 at 7:39 pm

4. Okay I resisted the obvious joke for so long. I must ask. If your Aunt & Uncle’s mutt; Moon Dog made a deposit in the yard would it be a Moon Pie?

September 4, 2015 at 2:41 pm