Santorini Greek Kitchen 1417 Prospect Street

santorini 016

Well this week we had a taste for Greek food. Pat thought that Santorini would be the right spot. Now what says Greek more than an appetizer of flaming cheese. Saganaki for $8.

santorini 017

I thought their particular version was particularly tasty with several pieces of pita bread to go with it. On most of their dishes you have an option to substitute soup for salad for an extra buck. Something we both did. Pat for a garlic mushroom and me with Avgolememo (egg lemon soup).

santorini 020

santorini 033

santorini 027

Pat’s chicken finger sandwich was $9. I think all of their sandwiches are $9 with a side choice. Salad, rice, potatoes or green beans.

I ordered their special. Kreatopita or meat pie. It is a seasoned mixture of ground beef and lamb wrapped in a casing of phyllo dough. I didn’t realize that it was a platter,which means it is served with all the sides. In other words a bunch of food for $12.50. The soup I subbed for salad was excellent.

santorini 023

The broth was as good a chicken stock as any I have had, and the rich egg and lemon hanging out with the pasta made it much more than an ordinary chicken soup.

santorini 025

Each part of my meal was top-notch. I especially liked the main star; the Kreatopita. It was a savory treat wrapped in a crisp phyllo crust. The great thing about phyllo is that; when done properly; the crispness is multi layered. This was done properly.

santorini 024

Although I had to take half of my lunch home I still had to have some Baklava.

santorini 028

santorini 029

Their Baklava was delicious as everything else. They have a full bar and offered a few local brews on draft for $6.50. Downtown prices. I thought they used to offer carafes and half carafes of wine. Evidently I was mistaken. I know there are several Greek Restaurants in Indianapolis. I think that you may want to give this one a try the next time you want to get your Greek on.

santorini 015

Santorini Greek Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. This place has been on my list for a while now. I’m glad y’all enjoyed it. Encouraging.
    We were avid fans of The Parthenon in Broad Ripple — Do you remember how freakin fantastic that restaurant was?!? Lil cheese plate, some salad and a lentil soup, medley of tabouleh and baba ganoush and hummus — like a vegetarian dream! Turkish coffee and baklava followed by a small glass of Sambuca. Man, I loved that place so much. Good music, belly dancers, great location.
    At some point, maybe 2010, we came home from Georgia and it was GONE. Moved, they said. Well I swear to you, we’ve been to the new place twice (in 2013) and I do think they gave me some Sabra, and they don’t even have a freakin beverage license! Disappointed doesn’t even begin to cover it. I mean, I could rant and rant about pink tomatoes and ugh, I’ll just stop.
    Hellas is okay. It’s just okay. I am further encouraged to try Santorini πŸ˜€ even though it’s a bit farther πŸ˜‰

December 30, 2015 at 7:49 pm

• Well I think that this joint may be the best Greek joint in town. I think the Parthenon up North is more interested in carry out food not a sit down experience. At least that is the feeling I get from their website. Have you ever tried raw food? There is Ezra’s in BR that has nothing but “raw food”.

December 30, 2015 at 8:03 pm

• Good!
        Yes, I’m a fan of Ezra’s, but The Mister is not.
        Carry-out or not, I’d advise you to avoid The Parthenon on 86th and Ditch.

December 30, 2015 at 8:06 pm

• Oh I had no plans to visit the Parthenon. Their website turned me off. I am with your Mister. Pat and I both tried Ezra’s and found it to be lacking. Afterwards we had to go get a cheese burger to get the taste out of our mouths. I contacted you through your blog. When do you check it?

December 30, 2015 at 8:15 pm

• I have checked it. I check it several times a day 😦 I don’t see you. I’ll search for you.

December 30, 2015 at 8:23 pm

• I don’t have anything from you. I even checked spam. You used my Contact Me email?

December 30, 2015 at 8:25 pm

• Yep. All I asked was how your panko use turned out? And what is the go to Mex joint you alluded to some time ago? Real dork stuff

December 30, 2015 at 8:29 pm

• Strange. I’m sorry I didn’t get it. You must try again sometime. The panko was alright, bit too crispy, me thinks. I still prefer the bread crumbs for the salmon patties.
        We go to Los Rancheros on Pendleton Pike, right by 465, almost every week. When we don’t dine-in, we get carry-out from there.

December 30, 2015 at 8:33 pm

• Curious. It was salmon patties that made me realize panko doesn’t work for all things. That was a few years ago. Also I had it in my mind Joey’s go to spot would be more of a one of a kind hole in the wall. I don’t hate chains by any means. I still love the flour torts at Taco Bell. Thank you Now I am sated.Sort of.

December 30, 2015 at 8:40 pm

• Well, to be fair, Los Rancheros wasn’t always a chain. That one I go to has been open since I was in high school and to me, it still feels hole in the wall-ish πŸ™‚

December 30, 2015 at 8:43 pm

• Well that’s cool. All the way back to your High School days?! Why it must be ancient.

December 30, 2015 at 8:57 pm

• HAHA, vintage, maybe πŸ˜‰

December 30, 2015 at 8:58 pm

2. Everything is covered in snow! Feta explosions or sugar explosions–a dusting on every plate. Now how on earth was Pat supposed to eat that chicken finger sandwich? How could he lift it up and fold it? It would just fall all to the sides. Lemon does sound good in chicken soup. I can almost hear the crunch as a fork slides through the baklava.

December 31, 2015 at 1:10 pm

• Pat ate most of the chicken a piece at a time,until it got small enough for him to wrap it. The crunch of the fork and the crunch of your teeth as they make their way through layers of crisp phyllo, nuts and honey. Makes me hungry.

December 31, 2015 at 1:17 pm