Edwards Drive In 2126 S. Sherman Drive.

Edwards 006

Edwards 008

I think without realizing it Pat and I have been pursuing long operating establishments. A couple of weeks ago the Kitley Inn,established in 1946 and now Edwards an original Dog and Suds from 1957. Whereas Kitley looks as though it hasn’t changed much since ’46 Edwards definitely has had a face lift or two.

Edwards 004

Edwards 001

These replicas are on the side of the building and probably 3/4 size of the original rides. On the inside you will find a very swank and refined space with no vibe you may expect from an old-time diner.

Edwards 009

Edwards 010

The interior may be too refined and contemporary for that 50’s look but they offer non stop music from that era. If you are an old guy it will make you smile. They still offer curb service too. You order at the front counter,given a ticket and they call your number when ready. Everyone was very friendly and most helpful with my too many questions. The biggest reason I wanted to come here is I was certain that,with the exception of the root beer little of the food was done from scratch. I have no idea where or how I got that impression I just did. Well I was wrong. This place actually has cooks. My apologies to Edwards Drive In.

Wednesday they offer a $1.99 BBQ slider. For a 3 buck and change up charge you can add onion rings and a medium drink. In my case that would be a Root Beer.

Edwards 443

Well the sandwich was so-so. Not a bad bite for 2 bucks but nothing to really make you shake,rattle or roll. Now the rings were a different story. They were crisp and flavorful and abundant. Often onion rings are a touch soggy from excessive batter. Not these. Sometimes they are just too greasy. Not these. I hesitate to call them the best I have had because I am sure I used that line before. I just have to say that these are an excellent product and they were masterfully prepared. As for the Root Beer it was as delicious as you would expect or if you are old enough as you remember from years ago.

Edwards 444

Edwards 441

Eds

Pat told me that we had been here before. I couldn’t remember. He also said that his breaded tenderloin last time was very greasy. This time his food was on point. I still say I have not been here with him.

Edwards 442

I think this could be a very nice joint to visit when it is warm. Onion rings and a Root Beer. If they use the same ring batter for the mushrooms then marry that with a coney dog and Root Beer and call me satisfied.
Edwards Drive-in Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. Those onion rings sound great.
    My favorite onion rings are at Grille 2 — they’re huge, they’re like a meal, and they’re crunchy and not greasy 🙂

March 24, 2016 at 4:02 pm

• Grille 2- must check it out.

March 24, 2016 at 4:37 pm

• It’s a drive for you, all the way up the Pike, but everything we’ve ordered there has been spectacular. Burgers delish. I like the black & blue, but the one with egg is divine, too, and they do a nice salmon. Sassy likes a Cajun chicken sandwich. It’s a great place. Never been to the first Grille.

March 24, 2016 at 4:59 pm

2. Well I found a website for Grille 2 but it has no menu. It shows a “new menu” but there ain’t none. I found Grill 1 (over 21) and it is probably closer to me.

March 25, 2016 at 1:07 am

3. Can’t go wrong with a jukebox playing 50s songs, and Elvis and Marilyn on the wall, eh? Well, I guess you can, but it adds a fun atmosphere. I saw the “Pee Wee’s Big Holiday” movie last night and root beer barrels played a big role in it, and I was really wanting some root beer, and now THIS POST! Root beer and onion rings: sounds like a perfect marriage.

March 26, 2016 at 12:28 pm

• Oh yeah! My next wedding will involve a coney dog and mushrooms with the Root Beer. Do you have any joints around you that make root beer?

March 26, 2016 at 12:36 pm

• I can’t think of any off the top of my head. There are restaurants that only sell Maine Root Beer in their taps, but it’s meh. My husband likes Not Your Father’s Root Beer, but that’s got alcohol (and not enough to make me smile–ha!).

March 26, 2016 at 12:42 pm

• I have never tried that. I recall some years back a local liquor distributor was trying to convince people that Jagermeister and root beer was as tasty as mixing it with Red Bull. Never tried that either.

March 26, 2016 at 12:49 pm

4. Although they’re known for their breaded tenderloin, honestly, I found it pretty mediocre. I agree with you on those onion rings, though. Simply outstanding!

March 30, 2016 at 10:15 am

• Yeah I think Pat would agree with you about the breaded tenderloin that is why he ordered it grilled this time. Just thinking about those rings makes me hungry.

March 30, 2016 at 10:17 am