Bittersweet Irvington 5543 E. Washington Street

Bittersweet 016

This joint just opened up in March. I knew nothing about it until a couple of friends;who live nearby told me about it. Their main bag is baking. Cakes,cupcakes, tarts, and cookies. They expanded their repertoire to include more savory dishes. They offer a nice selection of breakfast and luncheon dishes.

Bittersweet 018

Bittersweet 019

Bittersweet 020

I did not bring my scanner,but I was fortunate to take some decent pictures with my new camera. Well,not so new. I bought it from Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I figure with my smart phone and my camera I can take some decent pictures. I know. Too much Info. The only reason I mention this is this joint has no electronic footprint. No website. No Facebook. That is my pet peeve. There is a great venue to advertise and it is free. Why not take advantage of it? Okay. I am done.

The place is bright and clean. When you walk in you see the menu up on the wall. That is what I took pictures of. The other thing you see is a merchandising case with all sorts of sweet stuff.

Bittersweet 021

Bittersweet 022

These are chocolate cookies stuffed with vanilla butter cream. Five inches in diameter and an inch and one half thick. I bought 2 to go. $2.75 each. As of this writing I had not tried them. So I have no thoughts. Yet.

Bittersweet 024

Bittersweet 028

Bittersweet 027

There you go. What more can be said about that cake. A towering 3 layer cake of chocolate and stout smothered in a glossy, shiny ,glorious ganache. 10 inches of goodness . For 5 bucks!

Lets see it again.

Bittersweet 014

Well this place is not just about the sweet. They also can do a notable job with savory. Pat’s Tomato Tart was nicely done for $8. I didn’t get a taste, all I can rely on is my own chile relleno tart also $8. Both dishes were modest in size. And with both you get choice of salad or fresh fruit. By modest I mean a reasonable portion.

Bittersweet 011

Bittersweet 013

So. Yep we dig this new joint in Irvington. I am planning on going back to try one of the sandwiches. The Cuban or Muffuletta more than likely. Also I saw a sour cream Bundt cake sitting on top of the display case. That deserves a look-see.

Bittersweet Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. YUM! I saw that stout cake and drooled accordingly!
    I’ll have the salmon sandwich, please! 😛

March 30, 2016 at 5:41 pm

• They don’t smoke the salmon in house. If that means anything. I

March 30, 2016 at 6:31 pm

2. Chili Relleno Tart? OK…I must try this.

March 31, 2016 at 3:50 am

• It is pretty good. Very cheesy with a touch of chile pepper heat. Think quiche with a cornmeal crust.

March 31, 2016 at 6:40 am

3. I think you could stake a flagpole inside that cake, and it would stay erect. Stout indeed. Sinfully delicious!

March 31, 2016 at 11:47 am

• Oh, also–that is my pet peeve, too! We’re going out-of-town tomorrow, and I’m researching the best restaurants on TripAdvisor, and when there is no website (or the website is just an image saying “Coming Soon” after 10 yrs) nor facebook, I feel as aggravated as you. Why pass up a chance for communicating with loyal customers and potential customers?

March 31, 2016 at 11:49 am

• I hear ya Sista’. I could almost understand if they were owned by old codgers,but these are young and hip kids. A couple of years ago we went to a place that had a “website” in the works. It was still in the works when they closed. I am not saying that there was a connection,but you can put together a decent site for free in about an hour.

April 1, 2016 at 7:17 am

• You sure can.

April 1, 2016 at 7:56 am

• I know. Chocolate,Chocolate and beer. What a combo!

April 1, 2016 at 7:23 am

4. Hi, I want to thank you for your review as it gave me a new place to go to on my day off! I ordered the caprese grilled cheese sandwich which was really tasty and good! My only complaint: the TV’s. They had music playing along with the TV volume on. It was too distracting, I’m a fan of just music.

April 12, 2016 at 4:19 am

• When we were there only music was playing. Honestly I never even noticed a TV. I am glad you enjoyed your sandwich.

April 12, 2016 at 7:38 am