Some of This…Some of That 2405 N. College

SOT 002

SOT 001

SOT SOT started as a food truck. After a couple of years the owner decided to build a brick and mortar Cajun Table while keeping his food truck rolling. He picked an old abandoned building in a less than hip part of town and refurbished it. From what I hear he did most of the work himself. The result is a very good looking place with lots of exposed brick and shiny distressed wood flooring.

SOT 004

SOT 003

Cajun and Creole food are some of my favorites bites; and I have a bit of experience in it as does my bitter/better half. Since she didn’t want to come out to play I thought I would do carry out. They offer the obligatory Po Boy sandwiches as well as your typical entrees. They offer Crawfish and Shrimp Etouffee; Jambalaya; Bourbon Chicken and Vegetarian Red Beans and Rice. They are priced out at $7 to $10 each but you can order a pick two for $11.50 and a Sampler for $14.50. They also have Gumbo; either Seafood or Chicken& Sausage as a cup for $5 or a bowl for $10.

I ordered a pick 2 of Etouffee and Jambalaya and a bowl of Gumbo; all to go. When I got home I did not re-plate for the picture-taking. I took the pics as they are.

SOT 005

This is the pick two. The Etouffee is in the foreground and the Jam is in the background. Also the garlic bread is on the left. Well to be concise we were both underwhelmed and disappointed. The Etouffee had the best flavor and a nice “Cajun” feel to the veggies however we could only find one shrimp and one Crawdad tail. Lee ( my partner) was the lucky winner and she thought the shrimp was over cooked. The second part of our pick two was the Jam and it was definitely the least enjoyed. The texture was “mushy” and it had an odd taste that neither of us could name.

SOT 006

Our final dish was the $10 bowl of Gumbo.SOT 007

I probably should have re-plated it but the only rice provided was in the bottom of the 12 ounce go bowl. Needless to say the picture is not very appealing. Apologies. We both thought it was a bit thin but that is probably subjective from what we are accustomed to. We differ on the basic flavor of the gravy. I thought it pretty good; reminiscent of a dark brown roux she did not. Another thing we were in agreement in was the dearth of veggies and meat in the dish. We ordered the chicken and sausage version and we got a few pieces of chicken and a rather mediocre sausage. So I don’t know what happened. Was it a very bad day and I should give this joint another go? I am not sure.

In summation. The Etouffee had the best flavor;just no shrimp or crawfish. The Jambalaya was a dish we could not finish and The Gumbo needs a bit of attention to the Trinity and the type of sausage. It is a nicely renovated building and I wish them the best.

Some of this Some of that - SOT SOT Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. Dang. I was hopeful. Have you ever eaten from their truck? I wonder if there are discrepancies there.
    That gumbo looks right to me, but then, it’s not about looks…

July 1, 2016 at 7:53 pm

• No I haven’t. The Gumbo was right,in some regards. The color appeared to be the result of a dark brown roux;not the addition of Kitchen Bouquet;which some folks use. I problem with it was the lack of veggies and the IGA Kielbasa he used. As for the Jam. SMH. Have you eaten at their truck?

July 2, 2016 at 7:38 am

• I haven’t eaten at their truck, either. I do, however, have a desire to make gumbo now…

July 2, 2016 at 12:06 pm

• Oh! And my MIL puts Kitchen Bouquet in her corned beef gravy. I seriously love her corned beef gravy. Sometimes she’ll fuss over how she’s out of Kitchen Bouquet and assures me it will taste the same, and it does 🙂
        I haven’t had her corned beef in a really long time. Maybe over a year. I am sad. I may have to be nicer to get some. lol

July 2, 2016 at 12:08 pm

2. I’ve given up on all Cajun/Creole restaurants in the area until their products are better than what I fix at home. That includes Yat’s and Zydeco’s. And I only use Paul Prudhomme’s recipes. Maybe they should, too.

July 2, 2016 at 9:11 am

3. Pingback: SoCS — But is it Long Enough? | joeyfullystated

4. At the start, the pics looked promising, but there you were, let down again. Your better half opting out was an omen. That is an odd-looking jambalaya; it almost looks beefy. I definitely would have let management know about the lack of shrimp. I had to do that with my chile relleno last weekend. So they remade it and gave me four shrimp. Esp since it’s so pricey. We had good luck with etouffee recently; it was so buttery rich and thick. But then again, we are only six hours from Cajun Country, so it’s probably a better bet here. Then again, I rarely have good seafood when I go to the coast. Have you found that to be true?

July 2, 2016 at 6:00 pm

• I think my luck has been 50/50 on the quality of the seafood I have gotten on the coast. I think I have had better luck on the eastern seaboard than the west. But it has been so long since I have been out of Indiana. Had I been eating there I would have complained but since it was carry-out I will probably just let comments suffice. What is funny is I am the first one to say that there are very few have to dos in cooking. When it comes to the “Big” 3 of Cajun fare every household has it’s own versions. I knew a lady that had a version of Etouffee that used canned cream of mushroom soup. It was pretty good so how could I tell her it was “wrong”? However I must say as disappointing as the jam was my biggest complaint was the gumbo. I think it should be the Louisiana State dish. Now that is one dish with some rules. Dark brown roux and the trinity. Period.

July 2, 2016 at 7:06 pm

• It should always make your mouth smile.

July 2, 2016 at 7:08 pm