Shapiro’s 808 S. Meridian St.

Shapiro's 009

Shapiro's 008

Shapiro’s has been a part of Indianapolis since 1905. Everything they serve is made here. From the bread and confections to the soups and smoked tongue. I think the only reason we haven’t reviewed this joint before is we figured most of the folks who eat out already know of Shapiro’s. After last weeks debacle with the “Cajun” I didn’t care. I wanted a joint that I knew was good. Since yesterday when I decided to come here I knew what I was going to get. Chopped liver on rye.

Shapiro's 002

All of their sandwiches are big;the liver is no exception. As you can see I took a bite before I took the picture. Their chicken liver is excellent. Rich and dense with just the right amount of fat (schmaltz) to make it right. I got a whole sandwich for $8; even though I had to take half home. I love chopped liver and I make a pretty fair one myself. However Shapiro’s has the best. You can even add a Schmear of the liver to any sandwich for $2.55.

Shapiro's 004

Another thing I was hungry for was some Matzo Ball soup. I thought that Shapiro’s was the only joint in town with Matzo Ball soup but I discovered that the Cafe Patachou on 49th and Penn has it on Fridays. I haven’t tried it yet so I can’t make a comparison.

Shapiro's 005

To me matzo ball soup is elegant in its simplicity. The balls in their soup are an excellent combination of texture. Dense enough to taste the meal yet light enough to soak up the excellent chicken soup,or broth. You can buy it by a cup or bowl or by the quart or gallon. A bowl costs about $4.30.

Shapiro's 001

I don’t think a meal at Shapiro’s would be complete without pie or cake. I couldn’t resist a slice of German Chocolate cake for $4.10.

Shapiro's 007

It was a pretty good cake.  It had a creamy chocolate frosting with coconut pressed into it. Not what I am used to for a German Chocolate but a pretty good cake any way.

They open at 6 AM and serve the usual omelets etc. After 10 they have the hot line up and offer hot meats. So whether  you want a plate lunch or dinner or a sandwich and a pickle they have you covered.

Shapiro's Delicatessen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. I KNEW IT! I love that soup! I often wonder why I don’t have gallons of their matza ball soup in my freezer, and then I remember I would eat it all up!
    I love Shapiro’s. It was one of the first places I fell in love with. I think I was 10 or 11. I go there and struggle to order within reason, never do, and end up with two days of lunch in to-go boxes! 🙂

July 11, 2016 at 1:13 pm

• I know what you mean. I always think I will eat my fill then go take a nap in the car and come back. I never do though. However that is always an option. Oh I found Dr. Browns Cream Soda. Pretty close to the soda from my youth.

July 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm

• Nice!

July 11, 2016 at 6:29 pm

2. Tammy Hughes

Love this place! The corned beef and pastrami, the noodle kugel, the potato pancakes – It’s usually a big carb fest for me. I’ll never forget watching someone try to order a ham and cheese sandwich 🙂 They eventually got her straightened out and down the line lol

July 11, 2016 at 1:14 pm

• Ham and cheese ? Priceless.

July 11, 2016 at 1:18 pm

3. From schmaltz to schmear to Shapiro’s, what an alliterative post! I need to brush up on my Yiddish. I feel like singing, “Schlemiel Schlimazel Hasenpfeffer Incorporated…” One thing we don’t have around here (before the Katz’s closed down years ago) are any legit delis like this. I don’t even remember what Matzo Ball soup tastes like. Don’t you love it when you get to take half a sandwich home? You feel like you get your money’s worth, and you having something to look forward to. That is some different looking German Choc Cake. It looks nice and rich. It reminds me that we ordered that at our wedding, and they only made chocolate cake. 😦 Oh, well. At least they got my blackberry cobbler right.

July 11, 2016 at 3:28 pm

• You had Chocolate cake AND cobbler at your wedding? You guys are gangster.

July 11, 2016 at 3:31 pm

• Well, they said we could pic one for him and one for me since they were small. I said, “I’d rather have pie, if they can bake it,” and the wedding planner said fine. We didn’t need a bik fancy cake. What still makes me seethe is we paid in advance for all the free wine and beer, and most of the guests didn’t drink it, and they didn’t let us take the rest of it home. #$%@

July 11, 2016 at 3:38 pm

• Well that sucks but I bet the catering staff appreciated it.

July 11, 2016 at 5:05 pm

• I hope they still fondly toast to me and my money…

July 11, 2016 at 5:06 pm

• I am sure they toasted very fondly; at the time. Now…not so much. You know short term memory and all that.

July 11, 2016 at 5:10 pm