Paragon Family Restaurant 118 S. Girls School Road

paragon-002

This is a big restaurant with a big menu. It is very similar to other joints around Indy. Breakfast served all day, big portions, home-made soups and a bunch of pies and cakes. Usually when we hit places like this we invariably opt for breakfast. Today was an exception. We both decided on lunch dishes. Pat ordered an Italian beef sandwich with a side of coleslaw, for $8.50.

paragon-012

Pat always says that he provides the “esoterica” for the Blog and I am supposed to handle the technical. Well he did today for sure. He just didn’t mention what he ate.

paragon

He seemed to enjoy it. As a general rule he isn’t too shy about voicing his displeasure.

As for me I had a hankering for a melt. I enjoy the substantial bite you get from a patty enclosed in 2 pieces of toast. They offer 8 different melts and I decided on a Patty Melt. That is a hamburger patty on rye bread toast with grilled onions and cheese. The one they offer was a very good one. They use a coarse ground beef which made it a superior sandwich. Also it was on special for $6.99, and it came with fries and choice of soup or salad. They offered 3 different soups today and I decided on  beef and cabbage. They brought out my soup and Pat’s slaw first with rolls and butter.

paragon-007

paragon-006

paragon-008

The presentation of my soup may have been sloppy but the taste was fantastic. Savory and beefy. I would definitely order it again.

paragon-009

The sandwich was good but I didn’t finish it because of the big display case of pies and cakes. Pat and I decided to get dessert. Pat got a eclair for $2.75.

paragon-014

I tried a slice of Lemon Meringue Pie.

paragon-015

So we had a very good lunch for a reasonable price. It is a place that is worth checking out for any meal. A bunch of dishes to choose from and easy on the wallet.

Paragon Family Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. Man, I could really go for a patty melt and a slice of lemon meringue pie!!! 😛

October 26, 2016 at 7:56 pm

• Ah yes. The lure of beef and pie. The Greek bakery that supplies this joint is from Chicago and it also supplies Sisters on the near Southside. I find that interesting.

October 27, 2016 at 12:48 am

• That IS interesting. I ended up out at Steak n’ Shake for a patty melt last night. Still no lemon meringue pie, tho!

October 27, 2016 at 8:19 am

• I can’t remember the last time I had Steak and Shake. Truly a shame about the pie.

October 27, 2016 at 8:24 am

• I may well bake one at Thanksgiving…I may.

October 27, 2016 at 8:25 am

• Weelll. Should you ever need a taste taster…

October 27, 2016 at 8:27 am

• Right. Will let you know. 🙂

October 27, 2016 at 8:29 am

2. I’ve always liked this place. It’s not gourmet by any means (at least in my opinion), but it’s just screams “Hoosier”….kind of a melting pot of everything that somehow fits.

They’ve got a spacious back room that we’ve used for gatherings, and we’ve always got outstanding service for groups.

October 27, 2016 at 8:20 am

• You are so right about this joint screaming “Hoosiers”. The place is clean, service is prompt and cordial and if you can’t find something on their menu you ain’t hungry.

October 27, 2016 at 8:26 am

3. That is the yellowest pie I’ve ever seen. And oh, the rye bread looks good. I can’t go a week without buttered rye.

October 27, 2016 at 11:44 am

• To me rye bread is a special treat. Have you tried it with bbq beef?

October 27, 2016 at 11:53 am

• No but that is one of my pet peeves–all BBQ joints only offer sliced white bread! Rye sounds great with bbq beef. I’ll bring some brisket home next time and sandwich it in my rye.

October 27, 2016 at 11:58 am

• We had BBQ meat with some regularity as a kid and my Dad always had his on rye. I followed his lead and got hooked. I think a sliced smoked brisket melt would be rockin’.

October 27, 2016 at 12:06 pm