Four Day Ray 11671 Lantern Road Fishers Indiana

four-day-ray-002

This joint brews beer. But it is more; it is a Gastropub. I have seen that word around a lot more recently. That led me to believe it was possibly more than a made up word. Like Gastronaut. I looked it up on Google and this is what I discovered.

gas·tro·pub
ˈɡastrōˌpəb/

noun

BRITISH
  •                   a pub that specializes in serving high quality food.
 Yelp even offers a list of the “best” gastropubs in Indy. According to the list I have eaten at a few of these places and I hadn’t even noticed. I am guessing that if their menu uses the words confit and or aioli you may be at a gastropub.  What ever the joint calls itself as long as the food is done well that is all that matters.
As I mentioned this is a brewery. The picture I started with is on the outside of the building in the parking lot. The place is huge and appears to have been constructed just for this operation. They have an upper level  that allows them to seat more than 200 eaters and drinkers.
four-day-ray-006The sandwiches are in the $10 to $13 range and the beers are $5.50 per pint. The going rate at most breweries; and most joints in Fishers. A cautionary note about their beer flights. They serve the flights in 5 ounce pours; as many as you would like at $2.50 each. I think that is a bit high for anywhere.
four-day-rayfour-day-ray-005Since Pat got the BT I opted for a burger. I just feel better when we order different things. I noticed they had a double burger available which made me ask the server how big a patty they serve. He had no idea. He just said they were “big”. Hopefully he will learn his menu soon. I ordered my burger Mid-rare. It came out close to medium. They use a 2-year-old cheddar from Fair Oaks Farms as one of their cheese choices. That is what I ordered and it was delicious. As a matter of fact the burger was pretty damn good, overcook and all. I was also impressed with the fries. They had a crunchy exterior and a soft interior and the sprinkling of coarse salt really made them exceptional. For what it is worth the burgers appear to be 6 ounce.
four-day-ray-004So I wouldn’t mind going back but I agree with Pat about the distance. Maybe when the weather warms again.

Four Day Ray Brewery Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. Mmm, yes, gastropub. You do eat at gastropubs all the time. There are so many I like, too. Twenty-tap, Bru, McNivens…so many. I’m hungry, lol!

December 15, 2016 at 12:15 pm

• Yeah but I didn’t realize it was a “Thing” until recently. At least this joint used mayo.

December 15, 2016 at 12:38 pm

• LOL Not a fan of ailoli?

December 15, 2016 at 12:41 pm

• I am not a fan of pretense. Ailoli is an emulsion of olive oil, egg yolk, lemon juice and garlic. Mayo is an emulsion of any sort of oil, egg yolk, lemon juice and possibly a pinch of powdered mustard for stabilization. Ailoli is not Hellman’s with an exotic herb thrown in. I know it is a bit of a nit but it is a nit I choose to pick.

December 15, 2016 at 12:54 pm

• Yessir, I understand, but I love aioli as I love all versions of actual handmade mayo. (And I do suspect sometimes at places, it’s some Hellman’s with dill or whatnot, truly.)

December 15, 2016 at 12:58 pm

• If is truly hand made I can dig it. With or without garlic. I suspect a whole bunch of joints use ready made. And I further suspect it ain’t Hellman’s.

December 15, 2016 at 1:07 pm

• Mmmhm. I say mmhm.

December 15, 2016 at 1:09 pm

2. “Big” is a pretty vague word, and I would not consider 6 oz big. Then again, I’d always get the 1/2 lb burger decades ago at Fuddrucker’s, and I could never finish the last few bites. So I guess 6 oz is just right, what Goldilocks would choose. I prefer a $4 pint, so I hope the $5.50 was good. It’s worth it if it’s a good beer. Certainly not a regular domestic. Oh, I just had a lemon beer last night. Have you ever had that? It was pretty good. I know I’m going off on a tangent, but I’m squirrely today. I want to know if Pat eats the food he takes to go. I always do because I’m chintzy. But I have some in-laws that will not ever take food to go on principle. I just can’t waste it perfectly good food, esp a tenderloin.

December 15, 2016 at 5:18 pm

• I remember Fudruckers. Fun place. A 6 ounce burger used to be the norm at one time so it is fine by me. Actually more times than not they are a 3 to1. Three to a pound;which makes them 5 1/3 oz. The beers were good and unfortunately the normal range is $5-$6. I agree though a 4 buck pint tastes so much better. Can’t say that I have had a lemon beer. Did it taste real lemony? I don’t know how I would like that. As far as I know Pat eats his take homes. I just don’t understand why people don’t take their left overs home. Unless they sucked the first time around.

December 16, 2016 at 4:55 am

• Yes, it was pretty lemony.

December 16, 2016 at 9:42 am

• Was it a Shandy? A few breweries offer a beer mixed with citrus and call it a Shandy. I don’t recall any strong citrus taste but I guess it could have lemon in it.

December 16, 2016 at 10:10 am

• No, the shandies are more subtle.

December 16, 2016 at 10:25 am

• Well that seems to be something I must track down. Not a big fan of shandies but a bold lemony beer sounds as though I should try it once.

December 16, 2016 at 11:03 am