Mama’s House 8867 Pendleton Pike

mamas-002

For the life of me I have no idea why we haven’t been here before now. It is located in a strip mall just west of Post Road. Unless you are actually looking for it you would more than likely not even notice it. That would be a shame because this is definitely a place worthy of notice.

mamas

mamas-006

Pat forgot to mention the soup he got as a first course.

mamas-004

It was a delicate broth with small cubes of tofu added. It also had a mystery vegetable(?) in it as well. Opaque strips of something that didn’t really have much intrinsic flavor. It was pretty good for an opening act.

I was really second guessing my lunch choice after Pat was served. I ordered Seolleong- Tang. That is beef tongue boiled in an ox bone broth.  While I am not a fan of boiled meats I like tongue and I am especially fond of bone broths so it sounded like the answer to a cold afternoon.

mamas-008

The broth was very nice;not as rich as I thought it would be but still very good. The beef tongue was plentiful and tender. As I ate I discovered little bits of tripe and sweet potato starch noodles as well. That was a pleasant surprise. I got another surprise when they brought out the sides for the soup.

mamas-007

Little bowls of pickled onion and mung bean sprouts, kimchi and some delicious slices of cucumber in a sweet chile sauce. These additions turned a good soup into a great soup. All of their lunch specials are $6.99 or $7.99. I am definitely going back.

Mama's House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. Ringing endorsement! Perfect for a winter day.

February 2, 2017 at 11:02 am

• They also have a kimchi soup. That sounds so compelling.

February 2, 2017 at 11:11 am

• I love it when you get sides to dump in!

February 2, 2017 at 11:12 am

• I know. It makes a simple soup into a Transformer soup.

February 2, 2017 at 11:15 am

2. This is one of my best friend’s favorite places. Me, not so much. I’m too picky beyond the soups 😛

February 2, 2017 at 8:47 pm

• Oh I find that hard to believe. Like the adage says. “Different strokes…etc.” Have you been to Iozzo on South Meridian. I know it is probably too far for you but they have good food and an outdoor dining area that just screams Romance.

February 2, 2017 at 8:57 pm

• I have not. I haven’t even heard of it. I’ll check it out online though, thanks.

February 2, 2017 at 9:20 pm