George’s Mexican Taco 801 Broad Ripple Avenue

Well as a rule we do not eat Mexican that often. Pat is not a big fan of Mexican food because of those pesky onions. I enjoy most Mexican foods. Even the average ones. This is a small joint with a small menu. The sort of joint where you go to a counter; order and they bring the food to you.

Their menu is posted at the front next to the order counter. As I said it isn’t very big. Tacos, burritos and quesadillas. They also make their own chorizo, which intrigued me as I make chorizo as well. The burros sell for $8.50 with choice of meat. All come with the meat beans, cheese and rice all together in a tortilla. So I ordered a steak burrito.

The burrito was pretty good and very filling. I still can’t get used to the idea of  beans and rice tucked into a burrito. I didn’t eat the tortilla but I did eat all the filling. It went really well with a nice tomatillo sauce.

I also purchased a singled out chorizo taco for $2.99. They give an option of corn or flour torts. Naturally I got the corn. I thought it pretty authentic and tasty.

They sell their tacos for $2.99 ea or 3 for $8.50. The usual suspects for protein choice and of course the obligatory Jarrito beverage selections. I think it was a decent little joint for lunch. Do I think it could be a destination? No, not for me; but if you are already there I think it would be a good choice.
George's Mexican Tacos Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1. Ricky Sue

Hey Binsin, you and Pat need to try Tortas El Guero at 5698 S. Brookville Rd. They will customize your tortas with anything you want. Jimmy and I get a Shrimp tortas that is big enough to split. They also have tacos, burritos, etc. and have three different Mexican beers on tap!

April 5, 2017 at 6:00 pm

• Cool. I will go. Pat can be such a gringo sometimes. Thanks.

April 5, 2017 at 6:04 pm

2. Love, love, love this place! 😀

April 5, 2017 at 8:45 pm

• Their tacos are pretty similar to the street fare in Old Mexico. My singled out taco nearly filled me even before I tried the burrito “As big as my head.”

April 6, 2017 at 1:38 pm

3. Reading your comment above made me laugh bc we go to a place that sells “burritos as big as your face” LOL. And they serve a side of rice but put the beans inside. Chipotle puts both inside as well. It is odd not having them as sides, I agree. I love tomatillo sauce! Usually the options in Mexican restaurants here are crispy corn or soft flour. The only time you see the corn doubled up like the ones in your pic are for “street tacos,” which come only with cilantro and onions down here. Pat wouldn’t like that. I guess it was a nice change for y’all, even if if you won’t return.

April 10, 2017 at 3:48 pm

• Around here crisp corn shells are Taco Bell. Pat was just being Pat when he asked for hard corn tortillas. He has been with me before at other joints that only offer soft flour or corn torts. I may go back. You are right about “street tacos”. Double corn with meat, cilantro and preferably pickled onions. Makes a fella’ smile.

April 10, 2017 at 7:32 pm

• So you really make your own chorizo then?

April 10, 2017 at 7:35 pm

• Sure. I made it for a quesadilla at the last joint I worked at. That was about 10 years ago. I also made a mole’. I still make chorizo at home and some times mole’. Of course now I can find it at some stores, but I like the “personal” touch.

April 10, 2017 at 7:42 pm

• Oh, I love mole. How fun for you!

April 10, 2017 at 8:03 pm

• Sure is. Of course I don’t make it often. It takes a bunch of ingredients and work. Of course it puts a smile on my face when I do.

April 10, 2017 at 8:06 pm