Liter House 5301 Winthrop Avenue. (revisit)

I visited this place solo about 2 months ago. Pat was out-of-town and he didn’t seem too excited about their menu. He considered it too nouveau or something. I just think it had more embellishments than he would have prefered. That is just the way restaurants conduct their business anymore. It takes a lot of bells and whistles to make someone pay 9 or 10 dollars for a sausage sandwich.

Their smokehouse is finished so I was looking forward to some smoked meats. They have a few items and they also have the occasional special. The first thing I noticed was “burnt ends” for $8. I think burnt ends are some of the best part of the brisket. It comes from the second cut of the brisket which is also the fatty part. If done correctly, and that includes a proper trim they are delicious. Moist and tender with just enough fat to be flavorful. They are also not too common around here.

They serve theirs with a side of pickles and Crystal hot sauce and they were excellent. It was a nice size portion that I couldn’t finish.

The other thing that jumped out at me was fried smelt. I have a thing for smelts and they are even harder to come by than burnt ends.

Another nice amount well worth the 10 buck price tag. The offered a garlic mayo which was all right but I would have preferred a cocktail sauce or a plain old tartar sauce. Another plate I enjoyed but couldn’t finish. My eyes were bigger than my stomach but I did take home dinner.

Their beer garden isn’t quite finished but I expect it will be hopping once warm weather arrives once more. Imagine a nice Spring day munching on a plate of dry rubbed smoked wings and drinking a Big Lug beer under a warm Hoosier sun. Sounds good doesn’t it.

1. Wendy Smith

You had me at burnt ends! The smelt looked good too, I’ve never tried them but it looks like something I’d enjoy.

November 3, 2018 at 9:46 am

• Oh if you like sardines you will enjoy smelt. Little crisp fish bits. Liter House is like all of the Sahm joints. They have their act together

November 3, 2018 at 10:53 am

2. We’ve been there a few times, too. We like it. It’s a good place to get your grub on 🙂

November 3, 2018 at 12:13 pm

• Sure is. I am ready for the warm and the beer garden.

November 3, 2018 at 1:43 pm

3. My mother-in-law says the same thing about grass fed beef; she doesn’t like the lack of flavor. I guess I haven’t noticed. Burnt ends are wonderful, but (even in Texas) hard to find as well. Just little gifts from God. I’ve never seen or heard of smelt. Must be a more northern thing. But I read your description above. How could any crisp meat bits be bad? 😉

November 8, 2018 at 10:28 am

• I know. Crisp meat bits are the best. I don’t get it about grass fed beef. Proponents say it is natural. The way our ancestors ate cow. Well I am old enough to remember steaks before “modern” feeding programs and they had flavor. I just want a tender juicy hunk of meat that hasn’t walked 500 miles to get fed.

November 8, 2018 at 10:35 am