Gina’s Grill 7055 E. 16th Street

This place opened in October and is in a Moose Lodge. That is why the banner has to pass as the facade. I found out about it by searching the internet for any new joints in the Irvington area. I don’t consider this as part of Irvington but obviously Google does. The reason I even mention this is that if you want to find new places to eat sometimes you have to search them out. This little grill definitely makes the search worthwhile.

As you know the purpose of this blog is to cheer lead for the independent restaurant. This restaurant is owned and operated by Gina and her husband and it is housed in a Moose Lodge. Now what is more Mom and Pop than that.

Their menu is pretty standard with the exception of one rather creative side dish.

They offer a bit of home cooking, which I like , so I had a tough time deciding what to eat. I opted for a Pollock sandwich. Beer battered white fish seemed like a good idea for a cold December day. Also I spent an extra buck fifty for their creative side dish. Fried onion pearls.

Honestly I was a bit nonplussed when I saw two pieces on a round bun. I had expected one piece on a long roll. My confusion was unwarranted. It was a solid 6 ounces of fish and it was very nicely done. The produce was fresh and overall it was a very good sandwich and those crazy onion pearls were excellent. Very clever idea.

I intend on coming back at least to try cake or cobbler. That is the cool thing about independent joints The menus may be nearly identical but the execution can be very different. Example: Onion Rings. The Mug in Irvington and Greenfield puts mustard in their batter for the rings. Not a fan. Gina’s makes their’s Flamin’ Hot. Have to try those.

One more observation. They have a huge smoker out back that could hold a bunch of pig. Now that is one more thing to get excited about. BBQ. Even without a smoker though this is a joint worth looking into.

1. Having never been inside a Moose Lodge nor tasted onion pearls, I’ll have to trust your palate on that. Do you dip the pearls into anything or just them pop them back?

December 13, 2018 at 6:09 pm

• This was the first time I’ve been in Moose Hall. I am not even sure what they do. I do know at least this one has a dining room and kitchen they wanted to be used. Another restaurant was using the space before Gina’s but they didn’t last. As for the pearls they serve them with Ranch dressing as an app. I just ate them plain and with a bit of ketchup. They were tasty just to pop in your mouth. Prior to this the only time I have had them was pickled in a Gibson cocktail or braised in stew.

December 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm

2. Long ago, my dad was a Moose. I remember going there now and again. Kiddie cocktails and fries for me 😉
    Also, it was the first place I ever had fish with the bones in. I think I was maybe 13-14 and you talk about nonplussed. LOL
    This place is a whole other place inside it, hm? I do love the simple fare, looks good. Always a fan of a good fish sammich.

December 14, 2018 at 8:49 pm

• It is a simple place. Cozy in fact. They make their own cakes and cobblers and they offer Bourbon Maple Ice Cream. You know what they say about Ice Cream.

December 15, 2018 at 8:12 am

• This is apropos to nothing, but we had BBQ in a lil joint of 41 in Terre Haute today — Bandana’s BBQ — I had pulled pork with slaw on a bun and it was magnificent. I said it was the best, most tender BBQ since Tennessee 2006? 2007? But Jake said he thinks His Place’s brisket is, so I need to go back there and order pulled pork.

I totally need bourbon maple ice cream. What the hell am I even doin with my life?!?

December 15, 2018 at 8:26 pm

• Now that would be a major road trip. Thanks for sharing. Now I want some BBQ. Beef or Pig.

December 16, 2018 at 12:53 am

• Yeah, well I found out today it’s got at least one more location, in Washington, Indiana — now THAT is a road trip! Phew!

December 16, 2018 at 6:51 pm

• You mean Gina has a Grill in Washington or there is a Moose lodge in Washington. I have been to Washington quite often. An old college roommate lived there. Of course back then; before inter states or super highways every trip was an adventure.

December 17, 2018 at 9:24 am

• I mean that BBQ place may well be a chain. The Mister was born in Washington and his parents are looking to live there now. I still think every trip ‘down home’ is an adventure. Been down there 100 times and still don’t know the way!

December 17, 2018 at 9:34 pm

3. Oh I get it. Sometimes I am easily confused. Yeah Bandana’s BBQ is a chain; I searched for it on Google. How old was The Mister when he left Washington?

December 18, 2018 at 6:37 am