Vern’s Place 2322 E. Washington Street

The sign pretty much says it all. It is a nondescript block building that would be easy to miss. However when you go inside it’s a whole different story. Inside is a clean and well put together bar. Pool tables in the front and electronic Dart machines in the back. It is like a shotgun house. Stand at the front door and you will pretty much see it all.

Their menu is as straight forward as the building. A few common appetizers and sandwiches and of course pizza. As an added bonus they offer breakfast. If you haven’t eaten breakfast in a bar at least once in your life you are missing out.

I opted for biscuits and gravy. A full order with fried potatoes is $4.99. I added 2 eggs for $2 and a side of 3 pieces of bacon for 3 bucks. So for $10, the price of a burger in some joints, I got a huge breakfast.

The gravy wasn’t as good as Olly’s but the biscuit was excellent and the potatoes were wonderful as well. You can tell from the picture the potatoes were nicely browned and appropriately crunchy. The eggs burst as they were being plated and the kitchen apologized. I thought that was sweet. Mixing the yolk in with the gravy was my goal. Nicely done.

Pat decided on a lunch type meal A tenderloin.

I don’t know if it shows up in the picture but they batter and fry their tenderloin. I have never eaten a battered tenderloin before.

Now no meal at a bar would be complete without a bit of day drinking.

So don’t let the facade fool you. Inside you will find pleasant service and good food at a good price. They open at 11 during the week and are closed on Tuesday. They start at 8 AM on weekends and they have their own lot.

1. It seems like places can’t ever get Pat’s order just right.

December 20, 2018 at 9:11 pm

• Ha. That does seem to be the case. I tell him that’s because he is so persnickety.

December 21, 2018 at 9:40 am

• There’s certainly less stress if you just eat everything. But I feel for people with food allergies.

December 21, 2018 at 10:09 am

• Agreed. With Pat the allergy is with onions. His antipathy for condiments is personal taste. As he has said many times he is a simple man with simple tastes.

December 21, 2018 at 1:42 pm

2. What do you mean you’ve never had a breaded tenderloin? Are you even a Hoosier? I must not be understanding this term.
    Biscuits and gravy sound good. It’s been a while. I think I’ll make those next weekend.

December 23, 2018 at 7:23 pm

• I have never had a battered tenderloin. Most tenderloins are breaded. They use the same batter as they use for onion rings and catfish. The only other joint I know of that battered their pork was the old Schafers by Glendale. Not a Hoosier.

December 24, 2018 at 1:54 pm

• OH! Okay, yes, see I knew I was missing something! Breaded, yes. Battered, no. Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying. Now I want to try it 🙂

December 24, 2018 at 10:54 pm