MCL Cafeteria & Bakery Arlington 6060 E. 10th Street

MCL has been around since 1950. It started in Indianapolis and now has several locations in Indiana, Ohio and even Illinois. They pride themselves on scratch made comfort food and homemade pies.

The menus vary slightly from place to place but they all have a Blue Plate special and a Mayfield’s Value Plate. That is reduced portion of protein with 2 small sides and bread for $6.99. It used to be called the Jack Benny Plate. That is what we ordered. Fried chicken for Pat and Roast beef for me.

I honestly don’t recall Pat ever suggesting this joint but then he also thinks a lunch of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy with a huge roll is healthy eating. If I did give him some push back I probably had a reason at the time. Maybe I thought they had enough public exposure that they didn’t need our little bit of recognition. They are just as well-known now but we are running low on joints to go to, that is why I thought of MCL for this weeks lunch. So feel free to offer suggestions we are always looking. We don’t do dinner and nothing too “fancy” please as it may scare Pat off.

This was a great little plate of food. The meat was tender the taters were creamy and the beans were soft, the way I like them. I got a couple of Parkerhouse style rolls but no butter.

Pat and I both opted for a third side. For me it was spinach.

I enjoy spinach as much as any green. Our bus person Heather brought me some vinegar for the spinach and some horse-radish for the beef so the service at this cafeteria is as good as what you would expect from a full service restaurant. Better than some.

This is my pecan pie. Thick and sweet with a very good crust. On Thursday they offer a slice of pie for 99 cents. How is that for motivation to visit? I am sure most who read this are familiar with the MCL Brand. They are still doing what they have done for 68 years. Putting out splendid meals and great pies. Pleasant folks to have a meal with.

1. RickySue

Hi Binsin,

Check the menu online and go back for the baked chicken livers, they are the bomb! Think it’s Monday or Tuesday that they serve these.

January 3, 2019 at 10:21 am

• Baked chicken livers!!! Thanks for the info.

January 3, 2019 at 10:46 am

2. Ooh, that takes me back! When we were kids, my father-in-law frequently took us to MCL on the Pike. Always ordered the same thing — mashed potatoes & gravy, roll, and green beans. Sometimes I’d get jello — green with pears. When I think on it, I can remember how scared I was to carry the tray and I swear I can hear my chair move across the terracotta tile.
    Last time I ate there was still with my father-in-law, 1995, my husband was married to someone else then! Did not know when I held that baby, I’d be raisin her.
    Thanks for the memories. Food is magical.

Los Rancheros, man. That’s our place. I suspect locally owned, although they do have two now. If Pat’s not up for it, you could always go with us! Quesoeverything!

January 3, 2019 at 8:12 pm

• Food is indeed nearly magical isn’t it. If Pat isn’t up for Los Rancheros you are on.

January 3, 2019 at 8:45 pm

• 🙂

January 5, 2019 at 9:01 am

3. Well, there’s no MCL down here, but who could pass up 99 cent pie? Pie is usually $5 plus. You can’t even get a small cookie for a dollar. Now I know that Pat isn’t waltzing into restaurants wearing an ascot, as you’ve said he doesn’t like fancy LOL. Vinegar for the spinach and horse-radish for the beef sounds just perfect. We have that sport pepper bottle with vinegar to shake out on spinach (and cornbread). But no butter for the rolls? Benson… And hey, you didn’t have to tip either, right?

January 4, 2019 at 12:05 pm

• Oh the pepper bottle. I have one of those. Actually I forgot the butter but I used my roll to sop up my gravy. At a cafeteria where you have to bus your own table; like school or prison I don’t tip. At a joint that clears the dishes for you I do tip; especially when Miss Heather had to clean up Pat’s broken glass of water. Their pie is normally 3 bucks a slice and the large cookies are a buck fifty. So I will be back for the 99 cent pie day.

January 4, 2019 at 2:44 pm