Mom’s Country Kitchen 1313 N. Sherman Drive.

Up until recently this was the Sawmill Saloon. The kind of joint you went to for an uninspired but decent meal or more than a few cheap beers. Now it is a diner, one that serves lunch, dinner and breakfast all day.

Pat and I just thought we were hungry. Pat had their basic breakfast. Two eggs with sausage or bacon, toast and potatoes. He got a pound of potatoes, 4 slices of bacon and what looked like more than 2 scrambled eggs for $7.50. He also decided he needed a half order of biscuits and gravy for $2.99

This is all the food Pat ordered for breakfast.

After all this it is no wonder Pat forgot that we ate here when it was the Sawmill Saloon.

I had their works platter. Two sausage, 2 biscuits, 2 eggs and potatoes and gravy for $7.99. The amount of food was nearly embarrassing. Not only did we each get a mound of potatoes but they were nicely prepared. A bit under seasoned but still nicely done. The sausage patties were super sized and delicious with a bit of spice. The gravy was pretty good but the biscuits were average.

I don’t think this place is still a destination but if you are hungry for a well prepared breakfast and you are even close by I don’t think you can go wrong with stopping in. I wouldn’t mind trying their lunch just to see how they handle that. They also proudly proclaim steak and eggs for $9.99 all day, every day. Normally I would avoid steaks in a diner but I saw a sign inside announcing that they refuse to cook any steak well done. Now that intrigues me. I just may have to go back for steak and eggs.

1. I appreciate any place that refuses to cook a steak well done, lol, I am a place like that myself.
    I could eat with Pat. That gravy looks great. I can get down on breakfast. I don’t know why, but I can eat WAY more breakfast food than any other meal. The Mister’s making pancakes RIGHT NOW 😛

February 6, 2019 at 6:57 pm

• Oh he’s a keeper for sure. Speaking of pancakes. I saw a plate of cakes at an adjacent table and those suckers were about 10 inches across. Now that is a pancake.

February 7, 2019 at 5:32 am

2. 25 years is a long time between visits–although it wasn’t a diner back then. These sound like 1990s prices. Our favorite restaurants have had their “yearly menu increases,” and it’s hard to find anything under $10.99 these days. If I were you, I’d have eaten half and taken the rest to go for a late lunch. Not the eggs, of course. You have to eat the eggs right then. Seems like eating breakfast out is always the most fun of all the meals. And it sounds like the big Greek isn’t skimping! Still, I must admit “Sawmill Saloon” has a nice ring to it. But who can pass up the image of Mom in her kitchen?

February 7, 2019 at 9:20 am

• Oh I always take left overs home. In this case it was half of my b&g and half of my spuds and Pat’s . We review this place when it was still the Sawmill about 4 years ago. The food was okay and the prices weren’t this good. To me eating out is always fun. Is your favorite place an independent or a chain?

February 7, 2019 at 9:38 am

• Well, around here, whatever is independent seems to sprout into more and more places and become too expensive. When I was young, we’d frequent a place that sold broccoli sour cream omelets with lemon sauce. Sounds weird but it was great. And one that had great gingerbread pancakes. But now they want $12 for those stinking pancakes bc it’s a hipster place instead of a hippie place now.

February 7, 2019 at 10:11 am

• I feel your pain. It seems as though some joints that expand too much forget what got them their business in the first place. I am not a fan of broccoli but I would definitely try that omelet. As for the pancakes I would have to try them and then gripe about the cost.

February 7, 2019 at 10:21 am

• Ha!

February 7, 2019 at 10:24 am

3. Anne Rogers

So a cooking establishment announces that it can’t manage to cook a steak well-done and that’s a good thing?

It sounds more like something to be shamefully admitted rather than proudly stated. If they can’t cook meat well-done that implies they can only cook meat poorly done does it not?
    If one needs to rely on the crutch of bloody meat to disguise one’s lack of cooking ability that does not speak well of the abilities of the cook(s).

April 13, 2019 at 4:51 am

• Well that is indeed a unique take on the “doneness”
      of steak. In their comment upon the steak it was not admit to limitations on their ability but rather to comment on their desire not to cook a well done steak. To me and several others a well done steak is overdone. Also cooking a steak to temperature requires more skill that just putting a piece of meat on the fire and letting it go. By all means eat your steak well done but I will order mine medium rare.

April 13, 2019 at 8:55 am