Whiskey Business 5220 Southport Road.

Well another tavern. From what I was told by the bartender we had last week this is a joint that scratch makes 90 % of their food. They have 2 locations. This one and one up north on Pendleton Pike.

This spot is clean and nicely done up and offers 25 lunch specials every day for $7.95. They are the same every day so the kitchen doesn’t have to do something new every day. Also for the most part they are regular menu items at a reduced price.

Pat gave me a piece of his tenderloin and it was well seasoned and the meat had a great texture; but it had that unmistakable after taste of old oil in the deep fryer. That is a shame.

When I order I try to get something that I wouldn’t do at home. Because of the time it takes or the mess it would make. In this case it would have been the battered and fried cod sandwich. However I mis-heard Pat and I thought that was what he ordered so I went for the Sloppy Joe with fries.

I have a fondness for Sloppy Joe sandwiches. I know they are hardly a challenging dish but I do enjoy them. What I got yesterday was very good. I can’t say that it did or did not come from a can because I have never knowingly had that canned sauce. I make it from scratch, that is just how I am wired. The only bad thing I can say about my lunch was the fries. They had that same after taste as Pat’s tenderloin.

I am with Pat. I would like to try their $9 steak special but it is too far for me to drive. Overall it was a good lunch but it could have been better.

1. RickySue

Hi Binsin,

I know that taste too, I know how much of a hassle draining a deep fryer can as do you. It still is no excuse for restaurants not to change their grease regularly. I’ve about given up on breaded anything and I love a good tenderloin.

February 28, 2019 at 11:34 am

• Well this is the first time in a long time this has happened to me. However I agree it is inexcusable.

February 28, 2019 at 12:50 pm

2. Old oil taste ruins everything. I notice that a lot on chips and salsa around here. I send them back and ask for fresh ones. But of course that’s different. I can’t even think up 25 lunch specials. That’s amazing. And I see that the sign font is the same as the movie for which it was named, Risky Business.

March 1, 2019 at 12:24 pm

• Ha. Good eye.I find it unbelievable that a joint plays so fast and loose with their fry oil. This place seems top notch in so many ways but one dud can mess everything up.

March 1, 2019 at 2:10 pm

3. I have never had sloppy Joe’s except from a can. Manwich, to be sure. I maybe make it once every 2-3 years, like a fond memory I want to relive. I don’t think my family likes them at all. They eat them, but I don’t think they like them.
    Sad about the oil. I had been so excited to see your tenderloin, too.
    Very clever name, I like it very much.

March 3, 2019 at 8:01 pm

• I don’t recall eating sloppy Joe’s that often as a child. They were for sure scratch made, Manwich wasn’t around then. So my fondness of them is a mystery.

March 4, 2019 at 3:00 am