Taxman Brewing Co. 310 S. Delaware St.

When I can’t come up with someplace interesting to go to there is always a bar or tavern to fall back on. Or since the proliferation of Craft Brewerys the Gastropub. I think that word was coined so people would know it isn’t just a common bar that slings common beer but a joint that dispenses Craft Beer. One sign that it is a Gastropub is if they offer Frites instead of fries. Taxman has Frites. Their menu isn’t too convoluted just some basics that beer drinkers would enjoy. https://www.taxmanbrewing.com/home-cityway/

You may not be able to tell from the photo but Pat’s tenderloin is thick. Eight ounces of barely beaten pork thick. It was nearly an inch thick, something you would see served on a plate for dinner. Pat really enjoyed it regardless of how it was prepared.

I had wanted to try one of their waffles but they were out for some reason. So I opted for a double smash burger.

It was an unpretentious sandwich. Two patties from Turchetti smashed on a flat top and covered with American cheese. Like Pat’s sandwich it came with a pile of Frites.

Pat and I both were not overly impressed with the fried potatoes. In our estimation the fries from Upland and Chicago Beef and Dog were better. They were crisper which we both preferred.

The building used to be a stable and it was moved to this location and rehabed. They did a fantastic job. They also added a beer garden for the warmer weather. I think this will be a great place to grab a bite or a beer after work. They also serve spirits and wine and will be open for Brunch and everyone loves Brunch.

1. I’ve never seen Frites on a menu here, but I imagine it comes from pommes frites. We have more Mexican culture than French, so papas is more common LOL. Sorry the Frites weren’t the best. But the lights are pretty!

December 19, 2019 at 2:15 pm

• Exactly. Pommes frites. Frankly I prefer papas to frites.AIs long as they are cripsy I’m good.

December 19, 2019 at 4:35 pm

2. Mmm, I could go for some fries, and I have had fries twice this week — both good fries. Nothing worse than bad fries. It’s like takin the smile off my face. Tsk.
    The scene you shot is pretty! I love the lamps!
    What’s the parking like over there? Street parking only?

December 22, 2019 at 10:37 am

• Yep just street parking. There is a sign pointing for parking but we did not see it until we were leaving. The building is beautiful. That and the beer probably makes it worth the trip. Speaking of fries. Were you ever able to try the parsley and garlic fries at Boggey Burger? House fries tossed with fresh parsley and garlic. Crazy tasty’

December 22, 2019 at 11:27 am

• I did not try the fries at Boogie Burger and now they’re closed forever!

December 22, 2019 at 1:14 pm

• All the more reason to never delay.

December 22, 2019 at 2:51 pm