Hellas Cafe 8501 Westfield Blvd.

We weren’t sure where we were going to eat this week. I thought of an Asian Grill that was scheduled to open in Broad Ripple. We drove by but they weren’t ready yet so we headed north. When we hit Nora we saw Hellas and decided we needed some Greek food.

I had a desire for Mousaka. A creamy macaroni dish just appealed to me. Their version was very good. The Sauce Bechamel was smooth and creamy and decadently rich. The sides were well executed s well The beans were cooked down Hoosier style and the potatoes were crisp and tender. All in all it was an excellent meal.

Both of our lunches came with salads; which I forgot to take pictures of. They were normal side salads and came with an excellent vinaigrette. Both cost $12.49 so I thought they were reasonable considering what you got. Our server was attentive but the overall service made me nervous. There was one server and one cook and the kitchen was building the salads to order. That really struck me as odd. The cook got behind quickly but she managed it well and never really ended in the weeds. Evidently their customers aren’t in a hurry to get back to work so if you want a warm and leisurely Greek meal consider Nora Plaza and Hellas. I don’t get this way often but if I do I want to try their Dolmades. They build theirs with ground meat which is my preference.

1. I really like there food. Service has been an issue the last few times we’ve visited, though, and that makes me sad. It’s caused it to slip from our favorites list.

March 8, 2020 at 12:18 pm

• Well it is certainly a joint you should avoid if you have a schedule to keep.

March 8, 2020 at 12:44 pm

2. Their. Ugh.

March 8, 2020 at 12:19 pm

3. We’ve been there countless times. I don’t think it’s as good as The Parthenon in Broad Ripple all my life, but I guess I need to get over it closing and go on with my life 😦
    Hellas is always good food. However, it does always seem to be short-staffed. I guess if that’s what it takes to stay in business !!! I don’t wanna lose another good Greek place!

March 8, 2020 at 10:25 pm

• This is the first time for me. Their food is good but as I said the service makes me nervous.

March 8, 2020 at 11:16 pm

4. Looks perfect for a cold day!

March 9, 2020 at 2:02 pm

• Oh it was but again too much for me to finish. But I had a nice snack for later on

March 9, 2020 at 3:02 pm