Texas Margaritas 6473 N. Keystone Ave.

We hadn’t planned on eating here but we passed it on the way to buy me a new sim card for my phone and Pat asked me about it. I told him that it was the joint where I met Joey for lunch last year and they do a good job. They also offer very nice cocktails and beer. So that is where we went.

They bring out a big basket of tortilla chips and a very nice salsa as soon as you are seated. Pat’s go to appetizer at Latin joints is a large queso to go with the chips. Did not take a picture of the cheese or the chips and salsa as we were too busy eating it.

Pat likes his tacos hard and when he saw they use both ground and shredded beef he thought he had struck gold. However as he said they are very free with the use of onions. I like soft tacos but I usually get mine at a couple of smaller joints. When I come to a big restaurant like this I opt for burros and enchilladas. So I ordered the Burrito King, a new special. That was choice of steak or chicken in a flour tortilla with rice, black beans, avocado and bacon smothered in cheese sauce. I got mine with steak and it proved to be as Regal as the name implied.

Usually I opt for my burritos to be covered in chile; red or green but today I thought cheese sounded good. I really enjoyed this burro. It had a bunch of stuff in it and you could taste every element. Often something with this much going on something gets lost but not here. The steak was nicely braised and you could actually taste the smokey bacon and the creamy avocado. The beans and rice were nice as well but since they are usual companions they weren’t that exceptional. Of course I would eat it again.

So this is our second post since restaurants were allowed to reopen. I think we will check out some of the joints we have been to in the early days of our blog. A revisit of some of our favorites. This whole virus thing is a reminder that restaurants are vulnerable to a quick demise no matter how good they are. If you like a joint visit it.

1. Ricky Sue

Of course our standard is La Parada and I always get my tacos with beef tongue, extremely tender meat!

June 30, 2020 at 1:40 pm

• I like Parada as well especially the Posole. For tacos there are a couple of small joints that do good tacos, tongue included. Of course I can’t remember their names but I did review them.

June 30, 2020 at 2:29 pm

2. Jay

It is great to see you guys back out again. I honestly checked the website about weekly these past months just to see if you had posted a carry-out lunch review.

June 30, 2020 at 5:13 pm

• No we just couldn’t get on the same page. We have done carryout twice. Once close to a park to eat and the second time we were able to go to a brewery. Great idea regardless. Good to be able to get back out.

June 30, 2020 at 6:32 pm

3. Nice to see you out again! “Fast and loose with the onions” made me laugh. This place sounds great!

July 1, 2020 at 7:59 am

• Thanks. We are glad too. The place is really nicely done and the Rita’s are big.

July 1, 2020 at 10:20 am

4. Woohoo! You’re back. Although I wonder if y’all get to keep going out. Our state is having to roll back its phases because people can’t seem to wear their masks or stop touching each other. Glad you got some Mexican.

July 2, 2020 at 9:35 pm

• It is good to be back. You are right about our “leaders” trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Indy’s mayor has now declared mandatory masks when you are indoors and proper spacing when out. Of course that won’t hold for everyone. We will just have to wait and see.

July 3, 2020 at 10:55 am

5. It was good. And way too long since we met for lunch!

July 25, 2020 at 5:54 pm